Sandstorms positive for Lyme-was I diligent enough with frontline applications?

My understanding was Frontline takes (according to the packet and website) up to 2days to kill a tick and 19hours to kill fleas so unfortunately it isn't going to completely ensure that the ticks don't get on the dog and manage to bite them? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick... In which case no need at all to worry that you haven't been doing the application correctly...

Elaine
 
A vet friend of mine treats even "barely positive, asymptomatic" dogs with a 30 day course. My own vet gave me the option of drugs when one of mine popped positive. I decided to wait and see. She never showed a symptom, and two years later tested negative. This tells me the immune system is doing its job, and while abx might help it, it's ok to let it alone as well.

Agreed. I've also been researching the test they use and finding it's not too reliable. Found testing locations where they'd have the same dog tested back-to-back and one time it would come out positive, and one time it wouldn't. I'd personally really have to look more into the tests and how it works before I treated a dog with no symptoms.

Also, wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I'm glad to see they're taking it more serious as I believe it's a serious issue in humans and highly under-diagnosed so hopefully the dangers of it are surfacing! Hope your dog is all better soon!
 
My understanding was Frontline takes (according to the packet and website) up to 2days to kill a tick and 19hours to kill fleas

Well, this is why dogs are coming up Lyme positive that are on Frontline. I think it is about 24-48 hours after a tick bites that you can get Lyme disease. Therefore, the tick may die, but the damage has already been done. UGH.

Agreed. I've also been researching the test they use and finding it's not too reliable. Found testing locations where they'd have the same dog tested back-to-back and one time it would come out positive, and one time it wouldn't. I'd personally really have to look more into the tests and how it works before I treated a dog with no symptoms.

I find this interesting since I just treated a dog without symptoms. It was my understanding that Lyme can do damage even if they are not displaying symtpoms. If left untreated, I thought that your dog can develop kidney issues as well as neurological and heart issues down the line. Issues that could have been prevented by giving a course of doxycycline.

I guess for me, I personally would rather treat a dog with Doxy, than find out that my dog suffered a chronic issue because I chose not to treat.
 
Frontline takes about two days to be effective (assuming it's the first time ever used). It works by preventing the tick from reinjecting the infected blood back into the dog. It can intake blood, but not reinsert blood. It does NOT prevent ticks from attaching.

Nothing is 100%. Beckon got a tick-borne illess last year and had to be treated.
 
Frontline takes about two days to be effective (assuming it's the first time ever used). It works by preventing the tick from reinjecting the infected blood back into the dog. It can intake blood, but not reinsert blood. It does NOT prevent ticks from attaching.

Nothing is 100%. Beckon got a tick-borne illess last year and had to be treated.

Thanks for clarifying, Chris.

So, if a dog has frontline on them and the tick is attached for two days, it cannot infect the dog with diseases because it can't spit back out?

I never knew this! And I most certainly should know this. Thanks again for the clarification!!!!
 
Back
Top