Seeking insights on what to do for gallbladder mucocele

Hey everyone, 5 months later and I just wanted to provide you an update on this.

Delayed bacause of COVID, our guy finally had his gallbladder removed this past Friday. It wasn't a true mocucele, but was definitely full of heavily mineralized sludge. He remained asymptomatic the whole time prior to surgery. 3 days since surgery and he's recovering well.

In the process, we consulted with Dr. Gookin at NC State, Dr. Center at Cornell, and had the surgery done at the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph.

If you read back in this thread, we were debating whether to do the surgery or try medical management. Deciding to do the surgery when he's totally asymptomatic was very, very hard. The consensus from experts we spoke to was that these gallbladder diseases are still quite unknown. Our pup could potentially go another 2-3 years without it every progressing or becoming symptomatic. But it could also be 6 months, or 1 month. There's no real answer. But what's clear is that once they become symptomatic, the surgery becomes much riskier. As our guy is already going on 11 year's old, we really figured the best thing would be to have it removed now, while he's younger and not symptomatic, instead of having to relook at all this when he's 13 or 14 and showing signs, etc. But again, I can't say how hard it is to opt for surgery before it's 100% needed.. So thankful he's on a good recovery course so far.

One follow-up question I had for members here, are there any lifestyle changes you adopt for dogs who have their GB removed? Or any other health implications that have arose because of its removal?

Lastly, I didn't want to name my pup or myself previously, but our pup is actually Crusoe the Dachshund, who's well known on social media. If you wish to learn more about our experience, you can check him out online.

Thank you all again for welcoming me to the community and sharing your knowledge.

Ryan
 
So glad to hear all is well with the gallbladder removal! And Crusoe, oh my goodness - a celebrity in our midst!

I have followed your pup for years on end - we originally had 2 doxies, one remains now and has sometimes begrudgingly accepted the addition of our Sheltie.
 
So very glad it went well, if delayed. My intention to have Faith ultrasounded for a baseline of her gallbladder also hit a roadblock due to COVID. As soon as things open up I will schedule it. Thank you so much for getting back to us and giving us a look at what your expert doctors had to say.
 
Thanks for the update, Ryan. I'm very glad your pup is done and doing well!

As you'll note in this thread, I have four Shelties all under treatment for GBM. Checkers, now 13, and Lacey, 10, both had their gallbladders removed proactively. Neither showed symptoms, but the surgeon said that both would have been in crisis eventually when he took out their gallbladders. Lacey, in particular, who was only 8 at the time we removed it, had one of the worse cases he's ever seen, he said.

Because of that, our surgeon instructed me to keep Lacey on Ursidiol for the rest of her life. Checkers was able to come off of it about a year after her surgery. Other than that, neither one has shown one single sign of anything different. They eat the same, play the same, get the same treats. Other Shelties I know who've had the surgery have the same experience.

My other two, Ruffles and our Barkley who passed about a month ago, were both treated with Ursidiol and ultrasounded every few months. The meds worked well for Barkley and seem to be helping Ruffles, who is 6. If at any time in the future she shows progression, I won't hesitate for a second to have the surgery on her, whether she has any symptoms or not. I know too many dogs who've been lost to this disease in less than 24 hours from the onset of symptoms. IMO it's just not worth the risk.

Give Crusoe a pat and a cookie for us!
 
Back
Top