Seesaw fun :)

Simba13

Forums Enthusiast
My family had asked me at the beginning of he month if there was anything I would like for Christmas. I said anything agility related would be perfect. I was so surprised when I arrived home on Friday to find a mini seesaw in the kitchen :smile2: I am now the proud owner of a 6 foot mini seesaw and couldn't be happier!

I want to get Simba started on it soon and am looking for some fun games I can play with him to get him used to the movement. He is fine with the sound but when we had began to introduce it at the club he wouldn't even walk past any of the contact equipment. Myself and my trainer spent close to 3 months building up his confidence on the dog walk and A frame again and luckily he is flying on them again. I want to make sure I introduce the seesaw slowly and properly.

I have started the bang game today which he seemed to enjoy but I would like to know how to build on that. Also my newest addition is 4 months old now and he is so eager to play games on it like Simba but I don't know what he can and can't do at this age. I don't want to upset his growth and development and so have been keeping him away from it but would like to let him play some seesaw games if it won't do him any harm.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :smile2:
 
I really like breaking the teeter down into pieces.
1. The bang (sounds like you're working on this already)
2. The end position: Just like you would a 2o2o, just have him hop on the side and into position on the already-down end.
3. The height: Put some peanut butter on the end and have someone step on the end he runs from. He runs to the end as fast as possible--up in the air--and gets a cookie. Just remove him and do it again (don't add the motion yet).
4. The movement: I like to teach the dog to surf back and forth with the teeter REALLY low just so they learn that they control the movement. Keep your arms out and just feed as the dog goes back and forth--you have have to start with luring a bit.
 
I really like breaking the teeter down into pieces.
1. The bang (sounds like you're working on this already)
2. The end position: Just like you would a 2o2o, just have him hop on the side and into position on the already-down end.
3. The height: Put some peanut butter on the end and have someone step on the end he runs from. He runs to the end as fast as possible--up in the air--and gets a cookie. Just remove him and do it again (don't add the motion yet).
4. The movement: I like to teach the dog to surf back and forth with the teeter REALLY low just so they learn that they control the movement. Keep your arms out and just feed as the dog goes back and forth--you have have to start with luring a bit.

Thank you for all of the tips. I've got the bang bit done and need to work on the end position. I can''t wait to get working on this tomorrow :smile2: Do you think I should keep the puppy away from the seesaw? He is already doing a perfect seesaw with the end position and waits for my release before he moves. I just don't want to upset his bones or growth but he loves it so much. The minute I take it out of the shed he starts to howl from the other side of the fence :lol:
 
Thank you for all of the tips. I've got the bang bit done and need to work on the end position. I can''t wait to get working on this tomorrow :smile2: Do you think I should keep the puppy away from the seesaw? He is already doing a perfect seesaw with the end position and waits for my release before he moves. I just don't want to upset his bones or growth but he loves it so much. The minute I take it out of the shed he starts to howl from the other side of the fence :lol:

I would--only because there's no point in rushing it. Sounds like he's keen to work so I don't think you have to worry about that part! He's probably just crying because he wants to be the one working with you! Instead of working the teeter when it's his "turn", just spend some time working some other foundation skill. Bet he'll be just as happy!
 
I would--only because there's no point in rushing it. Sounds like he's keen to work so I don't think you have to worry about that part! He's probably just crying because he wants to be the one working with you! Instead of working the teeter when it's his "turn", just spend some time working some other foundation skill. Bet he'll be just as happy!

Ye that's what I was thinking. I'll work on the foundations and maybe introduce the mini equipment I have at home in the summer :smile2: Any recommendations for working on toy drive. He is absolutely obsessed with food but I only use food as rewards at his puppy obedience class. He also jumps on people who have food and I'd like to stop that asap!
 
Ye that's what I was thinking. I'll work on the foundations and maybe introduce the mini equipment I have at home in the summer :smile2: Any recommendations for working on toy drive. He is absolutely obsessed with food but I only use food as rewards at his puppy obedience class. He also jumps on people who have food and I'd like to stop that asap!

I always reference this article as a good starting point for building toy drive: http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm
 
Back
Top