Shedding in July

kram

Forums Novice
Hi all. Question: is it normal for a Sheltie to not shed until July? Fasb very rarely sheds until mid-July. Even with the heat and humidity, he has barely shed at all so far this year. I have a little trouble remembering exactly when he shed in years past, but it seems like he has been shedding later and later,

As I said, he's barely shed at all. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
 
I wouldn't worry as long as he is healthy and the coat is shiny and healthy. Keep brushing him regularly. All mine shed heavily at different times.
 
Heck, Layla doesn't shed until August! The first year, she chose to blow her coat on a trip from Washington DC to New Jersey. It was like traveling in a snow-globe! :gaah
 
So they don't get too hot with the winter undercoat?

I've going to have to post a lot of questions here, going forward. My Fasb is almost nine years old and I read the breed books when he was a puppy, but I'm realizing there's an awful lot I don't know or was mistaken about.
 
My pups turned 1 in Jan and March, they started shedding a couple weeks ago. I thought it was a bit late to start with that, also. It started when they started going in deep water every day-maybe it helps loosen it up? I thought spring was the time to shed too, apparently it varies for every dog and even year to year.
 
My Angel Pavi shed during the summer all of his 12 years. I would get about a dog's worth of fur out of him over about 4 groomings, then it would taper off. I can't say it's normal for all shelties (maybe a vet will comment), but it was normal for Pavi.:biggrin2: We made a lot of birds happy; I always put the fur in a bag as I groomed, but some always got away in the wind.
 
I did'nt notice shedding,like everyone talks about,but what I did notice mostly on Trapp was an unbelievable amount of undercoat when I brushed him.

So last week,every day he went up on grooming table. I started in one section,and did not go from there until all the undercoat was gone. Each day I would move up on him,until it was all gone.
And i'm telling you,after the other nights warm bath...he is just glorisiously soft & no tufts of undercoat. I can literally run my fingers thru his coat. And use a butter comb with no snags.

So it was definately worth every nights combing,to get it all out. But they have never "blown" coats.

I'm thinking its becuase they get brushed very often,and I am not getting to a point with them that I see the coat blowing,as its coming out in the brush.
 
Indy is only now starting to show signs of his undercoat loosening up. I know it will get worse in the next few weeks.

Neither of my dogs "blow" their coats in any extravagant way, but suddenly you start seeing clumps, then I know that its time to get aggressive with the rake and slicker....a bath and a blow dry also helps.

And yes, you would think they would blow earlier as soon as the warm weather hits, but I think my dogs wait for the high humid season before it starts.
 
Back
Top