Sheltie doesn't groom herself

soulshine

Forums Novice
I am wondering what to do about my sheltie who won't groom herself, at all. Her underhair is always caked with feces and we are constantly cutting out the hair. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?
 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe dogs clean their own butt area. If you have a dog that has long hair around their butt like a sheltie, than you have to expect poo to stick to their fur. I prevent it by having the groomer trim a 1 1/2 line down her butt. We call this a poop chute. You can search "poop chute" on this site. There are many threads on it. I also always check under her tail and use a wet one to clean her area. if that doesn't work than I just cut the hair.
 
Nope, Shelties, although they exhibit alot of cat-like tendencies, are like any other dog. They don't self-groom.

They might lick an area if it feels tender but poopy butts don't bother them at all, unless its pulling the fur.

So how do you deal with it?

Grooming! Rule no. 1 is the poop chute! Do a search on the forum for how to create. Also, keep the Sheltie pants to a minimum

Also watch your pup while pooping. Sometimes Indy seems to struggle "letting the final dingleberry" loose. When that happens, I'm ready with a baby wipe to do clean up.
 
The sheltie version of cleaning its butt is wiping it on the carpet - so best to do it for them. While my female sheltie does lick a lot it isnt true grooming behaviour, its partially a nervous thing and partially allergies. Dogs do sometimes lick their privates but I'm not sure thats grooming behaviour per se.

Poop shutes are a necessity. Also, what do you feed her, sloppy poops may be contributing to faeces getting caught on her fur. Usually dried food will solidify the poop more so it comes out firmer and is less likely to stick

Now for the important questions - whats your girls name, how old is she and do you have pics. And Welcome to Sheltie Forum!
 
WHOOO HOOOOOO another poop thread !!!!!!

I have never heard of any dog grooming themselves.

You gotta trim the POOP CHUTE ASAP!!!!!!
(_X_)


your dog doesnt want poo on him/her just as much as you dont want to clean it up. clean her up and make that butt shine then you or a groomer or vet tech shave the pooing area so it wont happen again...poop chute trimming is a vital part of having a happy dog.





WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

:biggrin2:
 
Here WE GO!!!!

First off..Welcome!
Second..here goes a poop thread!
Third..we love pictures! And not ones of the poop area...

Ok enough funny stuff.:biggrin2:I hav'ent met a dog yet that self grooms themselves.Not like a cat anyhow.And most definately they will not take care of poo stuck under the tail.

Theres loads of threads here concerning "poop shutes",it really is recommended reading,just so you know,you may find it very amusing.I know I laughed so hard the night I read it,I could'nt catch my breath I was laughing so.
But that was before we brought home our first sheltie Trapp.That was 6 months ago.We now have 2.Our youngest is Jasper,and he is just about 11 weeks.

So checking under the tail is common practice.Baby wipes help in between poop shute trimming.
Welcome to you & your sheltie!
 
WHOOO HOOOOOO another poop thread !!!!!!

I have never heard of any dog grooming themselves.

You gotta trim the POOP CHUTE ASAP!!!!!!
(_X_)


your dog doesnt want poo on him/her just as much as you dont want to clean it up. clean her up and make that butt shine then you or a groomer or vet tech shave the pooing area so it wont happen again...poop chute trimming is a vital part of having a happy dog.





WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

:biggrin2:

It's sad how much we enjoy this topic..
 
Welcome to Sheltie Nation, Soulshine. My Shelties will pick out twigs or burrs that get caught in their fur if they're irritating the skin. But as you've heard, keeping Shelties clean means clipping a 1-1.5 inch "poop chute" from the anus to the area just between the legs. That way, feces fall free and don't catch the long hair and swing into the leggings. Even then, it's a good idea to do a visual inspection daily, just in case.

And yes, we're crazy here and love to discuss poop issues! The Last Emperor of China didn't have his poop checked as closely as our Shelties. :lol:
 
Back
Top