Shelties and socialization

My sheltie Amy was shy of people and dogs when we first got her I made sure to socialize her and she was doing good till she hit about 5 or 6 months and she did a complete 180 now she is so scared of meeting people and people she has already met to the point she is trying to run away from them in fear tugging and pulling at her leash trying to slip out of her caller and I feel so bad for her I end up picking her up to try and clam her down I don't want her to be that scared anything but I'm not sure what to do she's now 7 1/2 months
 
Hi Ashley and Amy. It sounds like Amy hit an adolescent fear period (here's a link to info on fear periods http://ice.ucdavis.edu/~robyn/Korina/BCIdeas/Criticalperiodsinpuppydevelopment.html).

There is a lot you can do. Do a search on 'timid' or fearful on the forum and you'll find a lot of information already posted. Here's a couple of threads to get you started

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=19633&highlight=timid

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=3255&highlight=timid&page=3

I recommend the book by Deborah Wood called Help for your shy dog - lots of sheltie examples and info on dealing with fears.
 
Back
Top