Small Disc/General Brag!

thanks thats some good ideas, we just keep it in a toy box, i will try only getting it out when we want to play. she has gotten very adapt at catching her sqeeky balls at close range so i know she enjoys catching, and fetching omg she lives for that. when outside our praise has just sort of evolved into clapping cause she gets so excited and she just looks at us back and forth and smiles when we clap.
 
Will Bailey catch rollers if you roll them on the edge? The reason I do rollers first is because it simulates the "feel" of the disc in their mouth when they'd snatch it out of the air. When I'm training to catch the disc I just build the crap out of their drive. That is what I'm working on with Whiskey at the moment is building drive back up. Before he had his emotional issue he was very close to catching. Once they have that drive and they want nothing more than to have that disc all it takes is throwing a good floaty throw and they'll grab that out of the air. Its like something "clicks".

Good luck on the training!

Thanks for taking the time to look...I'm trying to get a better quailty video so I can film the process that I'm going through with Whiskey. I find that watching my own videos shows me what I'm missing by being in first person.

Thanks for the tip! I never thought about rolling the frisbee. You gave a great example in your video. I'll trying rolling it. Should I use the generic plastic frisbee or the chuckit one?
 
When you're first starting out I would use a floppy disc. One of the vinyl discs that you can get at Petsmart works well. I don't recommend any of the generic discs. The disc I use is a hyperflight fastback. https://skyhoundz.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FF

That is through skyhoundz. Generally you either have to order them online, in bulk they are generally pretty well priced. I get free ones each time I go to a trial, but you can also get them from HERODisc who is another disc dog producer.

The problem with the generic discs are
#1 if you examine the edge you'll see that it cuts off abruptly in a way that could injure your dogs gums.
#2 Its made of VERY brittle platics that will break easily.

If you look at the skyhoundz, or HERO discs you'll see that they are rounded at the edges for comfort.

http://www.herodiscusa.com/ -- that's HERO's link.
 
I use the Soft Bite with Sca though we don't play the show style. I heave it and he goes blasting across the yard. I would think there is more spin on them.
 
Will Bailey catch rollers if you roll them on the edge? The reason I do rollers first is because it simulates the "feel" of the disc in their mouth when they'd snatch it out of the air. When I'm training to catch the disc I just build the crap out of their drive. That is what I'm working on with Whiskey at the moment is building drive back up. Before he had his emotional issue he was very close to catching. Once they have that drive and they want nothing more than to have that disc all it takes is throwing a good floaty throw and they'll grab that out of the air. Its like something "clicks".

Good luck on the training!

Thanks for taking the time to look...I'm trying to get a better quailty video so I can film the process that I'm going through with Whiskey. I find that watching my own videos shows me what I'm missing by being in first person.

That's good advice! Indy will retrieve frisbees but won't attempt to catch in air. (Bacca just steals them and hauls them away to chew! :rolleyes2:)
 
Rum is doing really well, Whiskey still has a weird hesitation. I think somewhere along the lines we developed a bad feeling with the disc. So we're really back tracking.

I just am proud of Whiskey for being Whiskey :lol: He's the most polite, silliest, aristocratic, full of personality, dog I've ever met. He's full of drive on training, and even if he doesn't take to the disc he's really taking off on agility.
 
Back
Top