SNOOKER!!! What was I thinking?

Phebe*DD

Forums Enthusiast
This morning we spent about 2-1/2 hours at this great place. There's an agility judge who lives about 45 minutes from me. She has enough space and equipment to set up FOUR agility courses. When she opens up her place for drills, it's only $10 for all the runs you can fit in.

This morning she had two standard courses, one jumpers, and a snooker course. Including her, there were only 4 handlers and 7 dogs, so we all got lots of course time. In fact, for the first hour, I had an entire Masters level standard course to myself. We got in lots of good contact work, did some really challenging sequences, and plenty of weaves. Even Phebe was tired.

Then after we had a short breather, we joined everyone else on the snooker course. I've never run snooker before, but we're entered in snooker at a USDAA trial in 2 weeks. I had no idea how hard it is. There were only 4 red jumps -- one in each of the four corners of the course. It's a real test of how well you can handle. Asking her to take a jump and then run 30 feet before taking another obstacle was really interesting. Phebe did great and despite a few bobbles, I think we might be able to pull off a snooker course, now.

Snooker Masters, I salute you!
 
Haha! Snooker makes my head explode! I think it really tests your ability to think on your feet, too. And I am NOT good at that! My husband is definitely a snooker master. He loves the puzzle aspect of it, and really enjoys planning his course for points/time, etc...He's the one that loves to try to get all 7 point obstacles.

Of course, it really helps that Bentley is very handler focused. Dogs that are obstacle focused have a much harder time. They are always looking for the "next obstacle" to grab. It's hard to get them out of that cycle!

Sounds like you had a great opportunity to get some work in! The more you practice snooker, the more it seems to come together.
 
I HATE SNOOKER!!! (Though with that said I seem to do relatively good at it. :o) Glad you were able to get some practice before the trial so you have a better understanding of the game.

Good luck on your first Snooker run in a trial.
 
I love snooker - its usually my fave. Except the comp on the weekend the 3 snooker jumps were all in one corner by the low value obstacles and there were 5 combination obstacles. It was cruel and no fun at all. But usually the games can be fun if you dont take it too seriously.
 
Yea I signed up for our first atempt at snooker at next weeks trial as well, to say I am a bit confused is an understatement.I think I understand how to do it but only time will tell if I can get the slow poke to run instead of prance like a pretty boy. last weeks practice session was great I finished thinking OH yea that was great he's really starting to get this, at this saturday's I think I had a different dog with me talk about night & day.
 
Back
Top