Stomach problems getting worse...Orijen

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
So today, my dogs went out after breakfast for their morning poop. And then my 5 month old rang the bell and had to go out again for runny poop. And then...my boyfriend put him on the bed to hang out with me and he diarrhea'd all over my grandmother's quilt. He knows he's supposed to go outside but he just had no control over this at all...poor thing. I've kept him off any food other than his kibble (Orijen turkey) and I gave him a little carrot last night. And my other puppy Little Bear's stool has changed dramatically since we got him. We were given a gallon ziploc bag of his old food (TOTW) and used ALL of it to transition him over. His stool went from being concrete to being runny and occasionally diahrrea now, too. I've cut back their intakes of food. Am I still feeding them too much?

It says to feed a 7-12lb puppy 1.25-2.25 cups per day. My puppy is 10 lbs and he's getting 1.25 cups per day (150g). Claussen weighs 17 lbs (5 months) and he's getting just under 2 cups per day. I took his food back and he started getting bony so I fed him his original amount.

I'm considering putting them both on TOTW since Little Bear's stools were perfect when he was on that. Even when their poop isn't runny, it's still quite soft now. Little Bear's used to be almost kinda dry and very easy to pick up. Now it gets mushed into the grass when I try to pick it up.
 
I would definitely get your dogs off the Orijen. It is just too rich for some dogs, and that may be the case with yours. That said, however, you can't just make the change in a day. And given the runs your little guy has, I'd put him immediately on a diet of shredded chicken and white rice until his system calms down.

Just boil a skinless chicken breast, some white rice, and mix the two. Start with very small amounts (1/4 cup) and feed him three or four times a day until his diahhrea is resolved. Then, I'd gradually mix in a new food -- TOTW, if that's your choice, and see how he does.

As for the amount, we've always found puppies do need more food, so you're on target there. We stop three feedings a day at 6 months and transition them to adult food then as well.

I'd also suggest putting your pups on a good probiotic, which will help sort out their digestive issues. I like Dr. Goodpet's, or you can use Vibrant Pets which is a great all-around supplement and has probiotic in it. As a stop-gap until you get something, you can buy some acidopholis in the drugstore and use that.

If your pup's diahhrea persists, a call to your vet is in order. You may need a prescription food for him until it's resolved. There are some prescription low-residue foods for dogs with chronic diahhrea that your vet can give you.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
 
Well, today their their poop was awesome! Maybe the carrots I've been giving them helped a little. What is the right consistency of stool? Gross, I know, but sometimes my 12 week old's is almost like cement, and others it is a little mushy but not loose. Are both healthy? They both are "formed"
 
Back
Top