Teeter Training Question

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
As you all know, I'm working on a 2o2o for Koji for his DW. I don't mind a 2o2o on the teeter if Koji rides it down then gets into place (even if it's somewhat slow, it's safer than bailing out). I was teaching him a 4-on so he'd race to the end, but not expect to put his feet on the ground. I've seen some bigger dogs do this and they're riding the teeter down with half it's body already OFF the teeter. Seems hard on their bodies and dangerous.

Any links? I'm going to start looking at my past CRs, but I don't get how to get him to do both. BTW, I don't have a teeter. Do you think borrowing a friends small one may work?

Do I need to completely train a teeter with a different end command? i.e. my DW contact WAS "wait", and I use that for the teeter since they were both 4-on. BUT since I'm changing the DW to "stick it", should I change the teeter command to that too?

What do you guys usually do?
Thoughts?

Thanks.
 
Are you thinking of changing the teeter to 2o2o as well? I'm a bit confused.


I think if the behavior is the same, name it the same thing.

I use a 4-on on the teeter and it's "hold". I use 2o2o on the DW and it's "touch".

I think borrowing a mini-teeter will work to train the initial behavior, but you'll need to make sure that once you have it that you get out and work on full-sized ones. The striding is different, and you want to make sure he's not relying on his strides to get into the correct position.
 
Well, I'd like to keep doing a 4-on. I'm assuming I shouldn't train it on my board that I'm using for my 2o2o. Meaning, I should train it directly on the teeter.

I was using "wait" for both teeter and DW for a 4-on. I'm assuming I can still use it, but not sure if it's a "poisoned cue" now or what. I think I'll have to find out in class, or see if I can borrow my friends teeter.

Hopefully Koji will understand all 3 different contacts have different criteria. lol. He's a smart boy, I think he will.
 
I'm sure he will. :yes:

I don't know, how you train the teeter, but there is a border collie girl in my friday-group, that did 2o2o on all contacts for about three years and we used a target for only two lessons (2x 3x5min) to train the 4-on for the teeter (command: wip) and the 2o2o for the DW and a-frame (command: stop) - means: we took some hash an put it on a leaf (this makes it easier to find, but is no mark for the dog) for the 2o2o and for the 4-on we put some on the falling end of the teeter and while the teeter fell down and she ate we clicked her for standing (of course she got seperate treats from her owner for the clicks...)
((however this dog never worked with a training board... but yes, you shouldn't work on the same board))

Perhaps this could help you - if not, perhaps it helps someone else :winkgrin:
 
Last edited:
I have always used a 4 on walk off with Cosmo , I usually give an easy or wait command at the tip point, and then follow up with an OK now straight off command once the tip is completed and he just walks down and straight off, I don't think we have ever missed a teter contact doing it like that. The teter is one obstical he seems to like , I think that my actions are probably more the reason that he doesnt fault it . The key to this is I always make sure I pull away from the teter in a straight line even if the next obstical is off to one side or the other, this ensures he comes straight down and off the teter and does not jump off one side or the other & possibly missing a contact point, once he's all four on the ground then I make the pull to the next obstical if needed. Probably not the quickest method but it seems to work for us very well.
I use the same easy & OK straight off command on the DW as well and just a easy call on the frame,but then with Cosmo I am not usually playing catchup, it's usually the other way around LOL , on the other hand with Stormy I have been trying to teach 2o2o on the DW and frame using target & wait because I am usually trying to catch up to her. I think when it comes time to train the teter with her I will probably try the same with her, but practice getting her to hold at the wait command( tip point) till I can catch up to her to bring her off, or teaching her to target ,creep down once its tiped till she is 2o2o and waiting at the bottom for a release command, just have to wait and see what is going to work best for her. Right now with her our best overall success is with a target 4on wait, on all contacts the 2o2o concept seems to be giving her some trouble just yet.
 
Back
Top