Teeth and Teething

Stewart Werley

Forums Regular
Chewie is 6 months old now and is full on into his teething. There are days where he drops 2 or 3 teeth. The new ones are coming in nicely for the most part and he's not chewing on anything he shouldn't. He's eating well, (raw meaty bones) but here's my question.

I looked and the two top adult fangs are starting to come in, but the baby ones weren't dislodged. He looks like something out of a sci-fi movie because he has two fangs on the top on each side - baby and adult. Should I be concerned and get him to the vet and get the baby fangs pulled?

Or is it ok to wait a little longer and see if they drop on their own? He hasn't had problems eating and does not seem to be in any pain, but I just wasn't sure what would be best.
 
This actually happened with one of my dogs (I don't remember whether it was Spirit or Skylar). The vet was going to pull the baby teeth when she got spayed because the adult teeth had fully come in and had been there for a while, and the baby teeth were still there. Literally, the night before her spay the baby teeth fell out. They were there when we went to bed, and they were gone in the morning.

Usually the vet will pull retained baby teeth at some point because they can cause the adult teeth to come in incorrectly. I would call your vet and ask their opinion though. If the adult teeth have just started coming in they could still push the baby teeth out.
 
Fillion's did that too, and like Cara, I was gonna go have them removed but they fell out by themselves. Give it some time. Nature's been doing this a lot longer than we have ;)
 
Back
Top