Thinking of getting a Sheltie

jackrussellmom

Forums Novice
I recently lost one of my dogs and feel that I am ready to get a companion for my remaining dog she is a 5 years old jack russell (oh and I have a cat and I know thats a weird combo with a jack russell be my dog just acts like the cat doesn't exist). She still seems a little depressed after the other dogs passing even though they had a love hate relationship. My previous dog was a female but never again will I do a female-female combo of dog they just were unpredictable so I am thinking about getting a male sheltie.
Do you think that a sheltie will be a good match energy wise with the jack russell? She is energetic and a coach potato all at the same time
How do sheltie's do with a dog savvy cat?
What should I ask a breeder before getting the puppy?
There is a puppy that I am interested in he is 3 months old (well socialized from what I have seen) is that a good age to introduce to my current dog?
Do you think a new puppy will help get my dog out of her funk?
Thanks in advance for your responses
 
odd combo

I have always had lasses...now I have two, and they do fine together, so I think it is about personality more than gender. I talked extensively with my breeder about having two girls, and my Vet, and they both agreed, temperaments and personality over gender. It is like people, some you take to, others you tolerate:winkgrin: Will the breeder you are interested let you bring your Jack Russell and see how they act together? I think that would be the best scenario...
 
Shelties are a people dog first and foremost so the dog has to be more for you with the added benefit of having a. companion animal. My answer to your question is maybe. A puppy socialized with a cat should do fine but the real question is how will your other dog will react. Especially if they were "unpredictable" together . It may be a gender or personality thing or it could be a dog thing. a dog intro will be extra important before bringing a puppy home. Energy wise they should be a good match with the sheltie moee able to focus on you.
 
I think that the energy level will fit quite nicely with a Jack Russell. Their play styles might be different, but they would eventually learn.

The biggest difference you might see, is the difference in training. Growing up, I helped look out for two Jack Russells. They knew what you wanted, but they decided if they would do it. They did not have that great of an 'off switch'. Shelties, from what I have seen, do what you ask and so it with much enthusiasm. Mine, at least, has a good off switch when we need her to be quiet or still.

We do not have a cat currently, but my parents have two. Addie is very respectful of their space, but might chase them if they run. Introduce from a puppy, and set boundaries. Your Sheltie will do its best to listen.

I would definitely include your current dog in the picking out of your new pup. It MIGHT help get her out of her funk, but you should get a second dog if YOU want the second dog.

As far as the gender thing goes, we had 4 females (a Sheltie, a Cocker, a Great Pyr and a Golden/Great Pyr mix) camping in a motorhome & 5th wheel. There were no issues. But, that might be different becuase you have a Jack Russell. Getting a boy dog is up to you, but both genders of Shelties seem to be wonderful.
 
I had a JRT mix before I got shelties. She acted like one even though she wasn't pure.

Shelties are better with cats so if your cats is not a runner which I assume with a JRT, it is not. Then it will do well with a sheltie. My cat was raised with the JRT mix and knew don't run. He raised 4 shelties following her.

Plays styles are different but my first sheltie , Justice, adjusted to her. He was sensitive to her need to be in control and respected her boundaries and she learned not to pounce on him. It took some adjustment but in a couple months they were best friends.

Go with a male. Terriers tend to get along better with the opposite sex. My JRT mix was a female and she did not like other females at all. She never started a fight but she ended many. She got to the point her and my dads female lab could not be in the same room or they would fight. bitch fights no fun.

3 months old is a good time to introduce a new puppy. It may or may not get your dog out of her funk. I would suggest getting the new dog for you not for what it may or may not do for your dog. It may take awhile for them to learn to live together and some additions are not automatically made in heaven but take time to develop.

Oh yes, training shelties after a JRT is a breeze
 
Thanks for your responses they were quite helpful. I do agree that I also need to be ready for a new dog and sheltie's being a people dog is great because my dog that passed was the one that accepted attention 24/7 and the jack russell likes to be pleased when she wants. I feel like there is a void in the house but I definitely will include my jack russell in the puppy picking process but it will more than likely be a male pup because as someone said bitch fights are no fun even with small dogs. Having a dog that focuses on me will be a good thing because my jack russell listens when she wants to but is food and toy motivated so I just have to bribe her sometimes. I will definitely use the tips you guys when looking for the right puppy and I have to agree that personalities have to match. The breeder that I am looking at currently will let the dogs meet so thats good and he also has cats so thats an added bonus.
 
My dogs have many JRT friends. In fact I would say they are one of my dogs' 'preferred breeds' as the play style really isn't that different. JRTs aren't boofer dogs or that physical when they play. Deska's best buds are JRTs - running around, chasing and marking everything pretty much suits him and hs JRT buds .

You are probably aware though that JRTs can be possessive of their owners. So I would test your dog's temperament with other dogs interacting with you. It may be esp difficult as your current dog is getting used to having you all to herself. Not all dogs want other dog companionship. Shelties can tend to the shy and contending with a jealous other dog could cause confidence problems.
 
I can only answer part of your question. The part about Shelties and cats. We have a male Sheltie in a houseful of cats (I breed and show Persians) and have not had any problems. He gets along great with them, playing with them, letting them head bump him and occasionally bath his face. It could be he is so good with them because the breeder also had a cat. I did talk to her about it before we visited.
 
Thanks for the advice I will definitely have to test her around other dogs, she used to be possessive with us but has calmed down as she has gotten older. Looks like I have to schedule a playdate with my families dogs to see how she does.
 
Back
Top