Thinning Shears (scissors) Recommendation?

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Hi everyone. I did a search but most of the responses are old and I wanted to be sure the recommended scissor is still applicable.

Looks like my bf is trying to groom Koji and well, I guess it's time to buy some good scissors. I have a good pair of straight scissors, but I need a pair of thinning shears. I bought some at Sally's, but even spending $30 long time ago, it's still junk (the teeth get caught on the blade so it's not smooth). And the one I do have was my grandma's (for humans and they work great, minus the fact that the teeth are too big).

Old posts here suggested a Fromm 40 tooth from PetEdge, but they no longer carry it. I'm assuming this is the same one at Amazon: Fromm 40? My bf has big hands, so will this work for him? Or do I need to buy a larger pair to accommodate manly fingers? I figure, if he's going to groom Koji, I only have to groom Vogue. :)
 
Hi everyone. I did a search but most of the responses are old and I wanted to be sure the recommended scissor is still applicable.

Looks like my bf is trying to groom Koji and well, I guess it's time to buy some good scissors. I have a good pair of straight scissors, but I need a pair of thinning shears. I bought some at Sally's, but even spending $30 long time ago, it's still junk (the teeth get caught on the blade so it's not smooth). And the one I do have was my grandma's (for humans and they work great, minus the fact that the teeth are too big).

Old posts here suggested a Fromm 40 tooth from PetEdge, but they no longer carry it. I'm assuming this is the same one at Amazon: Fromm 40? My bf has big hands, so will this work for him? Or do I need to buy a larger pair to accommodate manly fingers? I figure, if he's going to groom Koji, I only have to groom Vogue. :)

yeah- let the guys hang out together.....:winkgrin:
I have these- got them as part of a set.... none of the shears look to have significantly smaller or larger handhold areas. I guess you might check if his thumb and finger will easily fit in the finger rests....
 
yeah- let the guys hang out together.....:winkgrin:
I have these- got them as part of a set.... none of the shears look to have significantly smaller or larger handhold areas. I guess you might check if his thumb and finger will easily fit in the finger rests....

Thanks. I'm thinking normal sized scissors would be fine. I think I was thinking about it because my straight edged scissors have a short blade and somewhat overall smaller in size (I have tiny hands, so it works well for me). The ones you got seem like a normal sized pair, so I would think they would be fine. :) I hope.
 
Funny, I just got my thinning scissors sharpened and my single-sided ones can't be sharpened anymore so I'm looking for some more. Good thinning shears are expensive here so it's cheaper to get them sharpened. I'd be interested in hearing what other ones people use. I've got Wahl scissors - but I think they are a Euro brand.
 
I first bought a cheap one, total bad.
So now I bought a really expensive one from a store who only sells scissors and it is really great - so it should I had done from the start :lol:
Usd 65
5½" = 14 cm.
40 teeth
 
These are the shears I picked up on the advice, and guidance, from a dog groomer I'm friends with:
http://www.precisionsharp.com/german-combo/ The set is well made and reasonably priced. It also included a case to store them in. The set is actually cheaper now than when I purchased them last year. Obviously you can purchase the pieces individually also (here's just the thinners: http://www.precisionsharp.com/g-5-thinning-shear/).

The one thing I was told by groomers and breeders was don't go cheap on your shears. They won't cut well and you'll end up spending more because you need to replace them than just buying a good set in the first place.
 
Last edited:
Funny, I just got my thinning scissors sharpened and my single-sided ones can't be sharpened anymore so I'm looking for some more. Good thinning shears are expensive here so it's cheaper to get them sharpened. I'd be interested in hearing what other ones people use. I've got Wahl scissors - but I think they are a Euro brand.

We have Wahl grooming products here too (human stuff mostly, but we all know we use human stuff on our animals). On the upside, most VERY expensive shears come with free sharpening.
 
These are the shears I picked up on the advice, and guidance, from a dog groomer I'm friends with:
http://www.precisionsharp.com/german-combo/ The set is well made and reasonably priced. It also included a case to store them in. The set is actually cheaper now than when I purchased them last year. Obviously you can purchase the pieces individually also (here's just the thinners: http://www.precisionsharp.com/g-5-thinning-shear/).

The one thing I was told by groomers and breeders was don't go cheap on your shears. They won't cut well and you'll end up spending more because you need to replace them than just buying a good set in the first place.

I'm liking the set. Thank you for the suggestion. I agree, don't go cheap. I know my small shears (it's like a 3" blade I think) were not cheap and they are still my fave pair of scissors. I am using a long straight one that was my parents (so, y'know, 30 years old), along with the thinning shears from gawd knows when. Time to upgrade. Seeing as how the thinning shears is half the cost, I think I'll just buy the whole thing. As much as I want one of those dryer's, I would use these way more often.

Guess I need to go drop some hard cash....on scissors. It's probably about time. I've been making do for so long with what I have. And we wonder why Koji looks like a Papillion.
 
Back
Top