Thinning the Sheltie Pants

MissSuzie

Forums Enthusiast
I have a pair of thinning shears that I have had for a long while, but was fearful of using on Meggie. I was so afraid I would butcher her beautiful coat. Well, we had our grooming session this morning and I sucked it up and used the thinning shears on her sheltie pants. OMG, they worked great!

I was cautious and started near the ends and worked my way up sparingly. When I brushed it out so much came off, but you could see no obvious cuts in her fur. They worked perfectly!!!

Now I wish I had tried it long ago!!!
 
What technique did you use?

That is, did you:

1) Use it like a razor, only using the teeth edge to strip away the pants, or

2) Use it like regular scissors, in a snipping motion, in the direction of the hair growth

Or both? I've done it both ways and haven't decided which is best.
 
I'm so afraid of screwing this up, I can't do it. And Gus' pants are out of control!

Speaking of pants, I happened to catch the '09 Cruft's "pastoral" group video. That sheltie had pants so big I thought the poor thing would have to walk on his hind legs for balance. :eek2:
 
What technique did you use?

That is, did you:

1) Use it like a razor, only using the teeth edge to strip away the pants, or

2) Use it like regular scissors, in a snipping motion, in the direction of the hair growth

Or both? I've done it both ways and haven't decided which is best.

I used it like regular scissors, grabbed a handful of fur on one side and just snipped near the ends, then went up from there. I didn't do many cuts. I was too afraid.

RetiredProf, I was afraid to try it for nearly two years now, but I'm so glad I did it. I think the trick is to use very few cuts initially, so as not to over do it. I'm actually shocked at how easy it was and how well it worked. I just think those sheltie pants can get so out of control. Meggie's got enough junk in her trunk!!
 
I used it like regular scissors, grabbed a handful of fur on one side and just snipped near the ends, then went up from there. I didn't do many cuts. I was too afraid.

RetiredProf, I was afraid to try it for nearly two years now, but I'm so glad I did it. I think the trick is to use very few cuts initially, so as not to over do it. I'm actually shocked at how easy it was and how well it worked. I just think those sheltie pants can get so out of control. Meggie's got enough junk in her trunk!!

I've been thinking about razoring Indy's pants with the teeth edge - from the skin to about half way down. The technique would require brushing the guard hairs upward first, then a few swipes with the shears, then brush down. Move up to the next line.

What do you show folk think? Or should I just rely on tried and true raking techniques. Cleaning out my basement today, I found a rake that this I didn't know I had!
 
I wonder if there is a video demo anywhere about how to do this? I need to get better at trimming Buffy's pants too since I try to do her grooming myself. Your descriptions are helpful but I think I really need to see someone do it to get an idea. Someone should do a video on how to do poop chutes and pants. :winkgrin:

Does it matter what kind of thinning shears you have? Mine are pretty cheap ones but hopefully they are okay...
 
I just looked online to see if I could find something in video. Coming up zilch, except for a YouTube on whisker trimming.

It really would be great to have something visual--you know, something I could replay about 16 times before I pick up the scissors! :yes: Seriously, if anyone knows of something out there (and I would buy it), please let us know.
 
I might experiment a little tonight.

The boys both go to the groomers next Saturday. I would like to thin Indy out a little before then (I feel sorry for the groomer when I bring him in looking like a wooly mammoth!)

If I do, I'll let you all know how it turns out. I do have excellent thinning shears (I cut myself with them without even knowing I'd done it)
 
I wonder if there is a video demo anywhere about how to do this? I need to get better at trimming Buffy's pants too since I try to do her grooming myself. Your descriptions are helpful but I think I really need to see someone do it to get an idea. Someone should do a video on how to do poop chutes and pants. :winkgrin:

Does it matter what kind of thinning shears you have? Mine are pretty cheap ones but hopefully they are okay...

I don't even remember where I bought mine. I actually bought them to use on my own hair, but that didn't work out as well. They were not expensive. I may have purchased them at a beauty supply store.
 
Back
Top