This isn't going to be like it was with Rocket

We used to chase our first Sheltie pup Skye around the yard right before bedtime to tire her out! I'm sure the neighbors thought we were crazy, but she loved it and it worked! I don't remember her being hard to catch though. Great that you figured out sitting down brings her over to you!
 
Yes, a small pen, even in a fenced in yard, is the best way not to have to play "Chase the Puppy". I've used a chicken wire pen with both Baron and Devon, even though I have a fenced in yard. The other thing to do is to give them a treat after they are finished, at the same time you are picking them up. After a little while they will let you pick them up in return for the treat.
 
Update after the weekend: She now comes to the back door when she is done. And she still comes to me as soon as I sit down. Maybe she doesn't enjoy having me cower over her? Not sure. But she really is a good little girl most of the time.
 
Your right, it's probably quite intimidating for her to have you stand over her. I know with Finnie when I first started to work with him I'd go to pat his back to praise him and he'd cower...it was the hand coming towards and above him that scared him. Very strange considering he'd never been abused but then he's afraid of everything.
 
I always kneel down to say hi to any dogs. We are 4 feet taller than our Shelties minimum, can you imagine looking up to someone that much taller than yourself? They want to see our faces!
Gavin knows to automatically come to me when I kneel down, I don't even have to call him (LOL, so now that he is deaf that works out pretty well!)
 
Back
Top