Time to get Cali started in agility!

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
I was flipping through a mag last night when I came across a "agility training kit" and got online to pick it up right away. It was $25 and comes with the following:

Pop open tunnel
Adjustable high jump
Pop open pause box
Stop watch
Weave sticks

I was going to just go and pick up a bunch of pvc pipe and make my own, but it would def cost alot more then what I paid for this! I can't wait to get it setup and get Cali started! We have been practicing with weaving in and out of tree's in the yard but I don't think she really understands what she is doing..

Any tips on getting her to use this set? She knows basic commands, but has never done something like a agility course. Thanks!
 
re kit itself reviews say that it is pretty flimsy and not usable for largish dog something more like yorkie would do well in it...
re where to start with agility, if you have not done it before I would find a club or trainers that do it and set yourself in perspective... how old is Cali?
we started practicing contacts, table, hand lead, targets since Che was wee puppy 12 weeks old, I would put a wide board on soup can and let him walk on it, or just plain board elevated on 2 books for dog walk, we have tunnel running in our living room and bunch of PVC creating ladder pattern...
You really do not start serious weaves and jumps until pup is older but mechanics could be started early...
Clean Run has a few good books and videos.
There are also few good treads on this forum if you do the search option.
 
I'm not sure if you are taking classes or not... but if you're not or you want a head start, I recommend the book "Agility Training For You And Your Dog" by Ali and Joe Canova.

I am 2/3 through the book and it has really helped me a lot with agility foundation training and introducing your dog to agility equipment.
 
I'm not sure if you are taking classes or not... but if you're not or you want a head start, I recommend the book "Agility Training For You And Your Dog" by Ali and Joe Canova.

I am 2/3 through the book and it has really helped me a lot with agility foundation training and introducing your dog to agility equipment.

I will def look for that when I go to the bookstore this week. Thanks!
 
re kit itself reviews say that it is pretty flimsy and not usable for largish dog something more like yorkie would do well in it...
re where to start with agility, if you have not done it before I would find a club or trainers that do it and set yourself in perspective... how old is Cali?
we started practicing contacts, table, hand lead, targets since Che was wee puppy 12 weeks old, I would put a wide board on soup can and let him walk on it, or just plain board elevated on 2 books for dog walk, we have tunnel running in our living room and bunch of PVC creating ladder pattern...
You really do not start serious weaves and jumps until pup is older but mechanics could be started early...
Clean Run has a few good books and videos.
There are also few good treads on this forum if you do the search option.

Cali just turned 3 last month. She is pretty good at picking things up fairly fast so I am hoping that she will enjoy this once we start!
 
If you let us know what kind o training Cali had and where you stand with agility knowledge I am sure there will be plenty more detailed answers.
Are beginning agility classes avail in your area?
 
Back
Top