Tire Jump

Ania

Forums Enthusiast
I am going to build a tire jump for Maia. What are the tire dimensions that you would recommend? (ie. inner diameter of the tire) I am going to make it similar to this one:
 
Last edited:
I am going to build a tire jump for Maia. What are the tire dimensions that you would recommend? (ie. inner diameter of the tire) I am going to make it similar to this one:

Well I have a site bookmarked,the one I pasted here isn't the one. But I also had this bookmarked,as it looked interesting also.

I'll keep searching for you Ania,I know its here somewhere in my list of favorites~

http://www.agilitykits.com/
 
Thank you mbfrench.

I've also went on the NADAC, USDAA and the AAC agility website to get their specs. They are all over the board!

USDAA: apeture must be within 17" - 20"
NADAC: aperture must be within 22" - 24"
AAC: aperture must be within 19" - 24"

Soooo, what should I do? Should I make it 17" and that way, if she is able to jump through 17" she will be able to jump through the larger ones? What is your experience? I'm leaning towards 17 - 18" right now? Any thoughts, suggestions?
 
Wow, you're keen - it looks quite professional that jump. I use a bicycle tyre for my tyre jump (in a pipe frame). I painted it because the dogs wouldnt use it when it was black. Tully used to always avoid the tyre until I made the tyre jump and painted it - now she never misses.

So I dont think the size matters too much with a small dog, its probably just the concept of going through it.
 
Thank you mbfrench.

I've also went on the NADAC, USDAA and the AAC agility website to get their specs. They are all over the board!

USDAA: apeture must be within 17" - 20"
NADAC: aperture must be within 22" - 24"
AAC: aperture must be within 19" - 24"

Soooo, what should I do? Should I make it 17" and that way, if she is able to jump through 17" she will be able to jump through the larger ones? What is your experience? I'm leaning towards 17 - 18" right now? Any thoughts, suggestions?

The site of the one you originally posted,I also have that bookmaked,and i'm thinking the size circumferance in any thing I have read,was between the 18"24" size. Most times they use an inner tube.
But as was mentioned,I don't think it is so much the circumferance,it is getting the dog to go thru it.

And also stability of the tube,as if it were bumped during flight thru it,you would want it to hurt the dog,if it were to swing and hit him. It would have to be a fairly hefty sheltie,to not fit thru a inner tube of that circumferance.

Its funny..you & I were looking at the same exact sites today.As I am very interested in this also. I know Trapp is young,but we'll be working on simple things here.
Walking thru ladder rungs,stays on tables,etc..
 
How about this one~ There are lots,& lots of ideas on the web.Unfortuneatly again,this is not the one I bookmarked back some time ago,but it definately is helpful.

My mission for 2010...clean up my favorites list by catagories!

http://www.campbandy.com/store/tirejump.htm

Mine is much more simple. I made a square frame and use occy straps (bungee cords?) at the top and bottom to hold the tyre in place and just use different length straps to adjust the height (my two jump at different heights). The elastic straps give flexibility and they can land on the jump and the elastic just stretches. I do cover up the hooks though just in case they could come off and hit them.
 
Back
Top