Top must have's for puppy....

Sandy in CT

Premium Member
Crate, bowl, puppy food... got that. It's been 10 years since puppy days so fill me in on your top must have's for bringing puppy home. I am sure that like stuff for human babies (my niece just had a baby) supplies have evolved since my last pup. I do have multiple sizes of Hug-a-Dog harnesses from when my small standard doxies were pups that should work well for potty trips, have a leash, and I also have one baby gate from eons ago.

Thanks!
 
I'd suggest you get an x-pen...this is a must have for when you don't want to crate but have close by and keeping them out of trouble. Puppy pads too are good for when in x-pen and an inexpensive dog bed (don't get a good one, he'll just chew it lol, mine did).
A small slicker brush, fine toothed comb etc to get him used to being brushed, nail clippers (or a Dremel) to get him used to it while very young.
Good luck and congratulations on you soon to be new puppy!
 
I bought a sheet of linoleum at a local home improvement store to put on my kitchen floor where I kept my sheltie puppy gated off when I was home but couldn't actively play with or watch her. The kitchen floor has ceramic tile and I didn't want any accidents soaking into the grout. I bought a big piece - I don't remember the exact price but it was pretty inexpensive. I picked the cheapest one they had, basically just plain beige but I was going for waterproof and not looks. I taped it down around the edges using masking tape which worked fine. It made clean up easy. Now that she is house trained I'm saving the linoleum to use with my next pup.
 
Real good advice both from Piper´s mom and Roberta :yes:

Personal I am one of those who do not like the idea of keeping puppies / dogs in a cage.

A baby grille in the doorway is also a good thing :wink2:
 
I second the suggestions of an x-pen and flooring. An x-pen is invaluable and you can also use one outside to help potty train the pup. Even if you have a fenced yard, it's easier to plop puppy down in the x-pen and let him do his chores.

Also, if you don't want to use or can't find linoleum as Roberta suggests, those interlocking rubber squares sold for children's play areas are terrific. I have them to use under my puppy pen. You can adjust it to the size you want and they're soft but easy to clean and great for gating off an area of a room that's puppy-proofed!
 
I think X pens are the greatest invention ever. Just like a large playpen for a toddler. Keeps them safe but gives them some room. We use baby gates also. Safe chew toys are necessary for teething pups, too.
 
Chew toys. When you see him chewing something you don't want chewed on, take it away and give him his chew toy.

Also- there are washable puppy pads. But- they make the same thing for human beds. The human ones are a fifth of the price and found in most linen departments.
 
Back
Top