Training 2o2o

Training 2020

I guess what I meant was....what is the beginning?

For me, this is how I learned. Maybe you and others can tell me what they did differently.

We started with a dog on a flat raised plank (about 2" off the ground). Put a target plate down with food. Then target w/o food but treat food (on the target). Remove target and treat on the ground. Remove target and have the release be the treat or treat after the release (I guess at this point, it'd be chaining)

Continue with running while starting the targeting all over again. Then continue with running past and targeting from the beginning again.

Once the dog gets that, start on the downward incline of the DW (don't use the entire DW yet). And start over the targeting. Then running past (but still not using entire DW) and start targeting over again. Lastly, do the entire dog walk, but start the targeting from the beginning again.

So with every step as you move from plank to full DW, you start the 4 step targeting over.

This is how I learned. And even at that, I was doing running in the beginning anyways, so I skipped a lot of that target practice, it's probably why I'm so inconsistent.
Go to someone who knows what they are teaching even if it is just for contacts.Evryone trains different so what worked for me or someone else may not work for you.I was taught different for contacts.Take a month and go to someone and just train contacts.Once you get that it should start comming together for you.This is JMO.
 
Sharon is right...there are 100 different ways to teach contacts. And sometimes, you can use one and find out it isn't working and have to try something else.

The problem is if you are able to determine when it's time to try something else...and what "something else" is the right one.

That's one of my favorite things about Stuart (we had a huge session on contacts this past weekend). He tries something, plays with it, and then interprets it. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to say "that looks like it's working" versus "that's not".

Basically, what I'm saying is that the best thing I can recommend is to find a good trainer who can help you through the whole process...at least someone who can give you a plan and you can see them once every week or two to gauge the results and changes in Koji's performance so you can tweak your training as needed.
 
Basically, what I'm saying is that the best thing I can recommend is to find a good trainer who can help you through the whole process...at least someone who can give you a plan and you can see them once every week or two to gauge the results and changes in Koji's performance so you can tweak your training as needed.

Sigh. It's so hard to find good trainers, help, etc.
And then add to that the expense of it. At this rate, I may have to quit agility. :( lol. I'm just too poor. I need to find a cheaper sport. Golf is too expensive too.
 
Training 2020

Sigh. It's so hard to find good trainers, help, etc.
And then add to that the expense of it. At this rate, I may have to quit agility. :( lol. I'm just too poor. I need to find a cheaper sport. Golf is too expensive too.

FOUNDATIONS,FOUNDATIONS,FOUNDATIONS!!!! Go back to the basics and retrain it at home.
 
yeah, expensive it is, even if you are on amateur level and not planning for USA team....
frankly I am coming to same conclusion that finding a trainer that "can speak dog" is worth its weight in gold. Trainer that is able to see you and your dog working and make suggestions that will work for your team right then and there is a rarity but well worth seeking out. Che and I were in class where trainer insisted on targets, had fancy ones too with blinking lights ... nevermind that Che though it was new game we played and kept pawing it, that training method was just not sticking with him... so my foundation was to get treat on the floor at the end of contact obstacle...
I do not know where we are going to be a year from now... but so far Che is not blowing his contacts... so as of now we are training for high level of independence of non turning obstacles, i.e. it does not matter what distance, my body language, shoulder and feet do when he is on DW, aframe or teeter, once Che is committed- he finishes it. This is trained behavior and it will allow me freedom to relocate and regroup if need be... Per my trainer's suggestion I have separate behavior 2o2o trained on the board but am not connecting it to contact obstacles.
 
FOUNDATIONS,FOUNDATIONS,FOUNDATIONS!!!! Go back to the basics and retrain it at home.

I'm sensing a catch-22.

I can't do foundations correctly, unless I find someone to teach me to do it a way that'll work for Koji (even if it's trial and error). For all I know, the way I know how to do it is exactly what's not working.
 
frankly I am coming to same conclusion that finding a trainer that "can speak dog" is worth its weight in gold. Trainer that is able to see you and your dog working and make suggestions that will work for your team right then and there is a rarity but well worth seeking out.

I so agree. My current trainer was doing good up until these last two weeks. She was busy cleaning her dogs ear while I and a couple others ran. She was too busy "talking shop" with another person while someone was running. I'm getting tired of paying $20/class to have to train myself. To me, this is more like "open practice" than anything else.

Sigh. I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I honestly believe paid training is over for awhile. Ugh.
 
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1120
You'll need to register too view this, but it's free.
I've stayed out of the discussion, as I've admittedly never had to train a 2o2o, but if I were going to opt for one, this is the method I would use.
I don't blame you for not wanting to stick with paying for a trainer who isn't truly able to offer what you need to move forward in the agility world, and you're right, it is expensive to be throwing money away on a class that is essentially a run thru. I've been there. I'm on my fourth trainer... started with a trainer who could teach very simple basics and no more. Moved onto a friend who I thought was something, but was more doing a run thru than anything else, and isnt current enough on training techniques. Then I moved on to my last trainer who was quite good, but when i got to a certain point in training, found I needed someone who could offer even more. Now, I'm with someone who trains under the Cranks, and can take me where I want to go (and occassionally I go up to train with the Cranks). In retrospect, I wish I'd started with my current trainer first. However, as a newbie, I had no idea what I needed to look for, and had I not decided to enroll in my current trainers ISC class as an extra challenge in addition to my old trainers classes, I wouldn't have known what I was missing out on. Coincidentally, I've had to go back and do a lot of fixing due to the things mediocre trainers taught. Now, if I couldn't train with a top trainer, I wouldn't even bother because it is a waste of money, and time where you have to go back and fix bad training later.
 
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1120
You'll need to register too view this, but it's free.
I've stayed out of the discussion, as I've admittedly never had to train a 2o2o, but if I were going to opt for one, this is the method I would use.
I don't blame you for not wanting to stick with paying for a trainer who isn't truly able to offer what you need to move forward in the agility world, and you're right, it is expensive to be throwing money away on a class that is essentially a run thru. I've been there. I'm on my fourth trainer... started with a trainer who could teach very simple basics and no more. Moved onto a friend who I thought was something, but was more doing a run thru than anything else, and isnt current enough on training techniques. Then I moved on to my last trainer who was quite good, but when i got to a certain point in training, found I needed someone who could offer even more. Now, I'm with someone who trains under the Cranks, and can take me where I want to go (and occassionally I go up to train with the Cranks). In retrospect, I wish I'd started with my current trainer first. However, as a newbie, I had no idea what I needed to look for, and had I not decided to enroll in my current trainers ISC class as an extra challenge in addition to my old trainers classes, I wouldn't have known what I was missing out on. Coincidentally, I've had to go back and do a lot of fixing due to the things mediocre trainers taught. Now, if I couldn't train with a top trainer, I wouldn't even bother because it is a waste of money, and time where you have to go back and fix bad training later.


Thanks for the article. So lame, I can't believe I forgot about things like that on her website. I already am registered. Ugh! lol. The resources I always forget about.

I hate to say it, but here, it's hard to find trainers due to space. So most of them are far! Granted though, as Sharon said once, driving 60 miles for great training is worth it. I think it is too. Just need to buy a car that doesn't guzzle gas, and find more money. I think Koji should work to pay for his own training, don't you?

Again, thanks for the article, I'm going to go read it now. And a reminder of the resources already out there, that are free.
 
Back
Top