At our new class the instructor talked about treats. For her own dogs, she uses whatever is available. Currently on the treat menu? A French dip sandwich she didn't like, but the shelties sure do
.
Olive has a super-sensitive tummy so finding training treats has always been a problem. Baby cereal worked for a while but she has lost interest. I don't think most human food would work with Olive, so I reconsidered cheese. Orange cheeses stain and I hate string cheese. Then I remembered the delicious-ness that is queso blanco. Plain, relatively bland white cheese that comes in a block and doesn't melt.
Cut into index-card size slices 1/4" thick or less, and cooked on medium heat in a non-stick pan (don't add oil) until golden brown on both sides. Put on paper towels and cool off/air dry for pups (eating hot for hoomans is the best).
Olive has found her doggie crack.
At last night's training session at home, she was more attentive to me than she has ever been before. I cooked it more than I usually do, so it's almost leathery but still soft and very easy to pinch apart. Not greasy, doesn't make my house/my fingers/Olive's breath stink, and today she hasn't shown any sign of tummy troubles. Yaaayy!!!
. Olive has a super-sensitive tummy so finding training treats has always been a problem. Baby cereal worked for a while but she has lost interest. I don't think most human food would work with Olive, so I reconsidered cheese. Orange cheeses stain and I hate string cheese. Then I remembered the delicious-ness that is queso blanco. Plain, relatively bland white cheese that comes in a block and doesn't melt.
Cut into index-card size slices 1/4" thick or less, and cooked on medium heat in a non-stick pan (don't add oil) until golden brown on both sides. Put on paper towels and cool off/air dry for pups (eating hot for hoomans is the best).
Olive has found her doggie crack.
At last night's training session at home, she was more attentive to me than she has ever been before. I cooked it more than I usually do, so it's almost leathery but still soft and very easy to pinch apart. Not greasy, doesn't make my house/my fingers/Olive's breath stink, and today she hasn't shown any sign of tummy troubles. Yaaayy!!!
