Trial Equipment (off-course stuff)

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Hey everyone,

Since there are seasoned handlers here, what do you use for outdoor trials? I have my first Sho-n-Go on Halloween (forgot to buy some stuff) and my first trial 2 weeks later. I'm soooo excited!
Anyhow, I was told if I get serious to think about purchasing things like EZ-ups, crates, etc. So, I was wondering what products you veterans swear by and what you absolutely hate (I tried searching, but didn't find any posts).

i.e. I thought I read somewhere about aluminet (I think that's the name), but I was told to buy cool shades from Clean Run. Any difference?

For my first run and sho-n-go, I'm only going to purchase the cool shade and some chairs (I don't have either). My instructor said she'll be at the trial, so I can sit under her EZup, if she's not going, I'm going to see if I can borrow hers. I have a large wire crate and that's about it.

Oh yeah, I even bought a cooler. I didn't have one. LOL.

Thanks.
 
So I'm no veteran, but I know that the portable fan we bought for Bentley this summer was invaluable! It runs on batteries and we propped it up in front of his crate--he loved it.

We haven't invested in any "serious" equipment yet :) We're still using our wire crate with a blanket in the bottom. We did consider getting one of the cooling jackets, though.
 
So I'm no veteran, but I know that the portable fan we bought for Bentley this summer was invaluable! It runs on batteries and we propped it up in front of his crate--he loved it.

We haven't invested in any "serious" equipment yet :) We're still using our wire crate with a blanket in the bottom. We did consider getting one of the cooling jackets, though.

I was joking with my instructor and said, "besides the portable a/c unit".... lol. But I never thought about the fan. I will look into that. Shoots, I need ground covering. I'll have to ask my dad if he has a tarp.

Maybe I shouldn't have given away my cooling blanket. Oops. Oh well, my older dog absolutely hated it. I think I can keep the dogs cool. I'm worried about me now. lol.
 
Stuff For Agility

Well, I have an EZup , crate fans and water jug for my dogs. I always put ice in it so they can have ice cold water.Sun Block for you, chairs and crate or ex-pens.I use a slip lead for trials and pack a lunch for yourself and tons of treats for the dog.I also have shade cloths.I usually bring a cooler with water and snacks for me.
 
Around here, outdoor trials are all but gone now for AKC agility. For trials, I bring dog water (don't want upset tummies from different water), soft crates (pet gear brand- easier set up/tear down), chairs, a mat, fans, and a cooler.
 
Last edited:
Ordering a crate fan: check
Water jug: check
Sunblock: gotta remember this, but check
wire crate and ex-pen: check
buying a shade cloth: check
cooler for me: check

I'd like to eventually buy a soft crate, but everything adds up, so his wire one will have to do. I'll write down the brand though, thanks.

Still need chairs (any suggestions?)

Debating on buying a mat through Clean Run. Thoughts on that?


Thanks everyone. I'm getting my list together. This is really helpful.
 
The ones sold at clean run are really nice, though in a pinch, you can just use a cheapy tarp from Wal-Mart or somewhere.
Chairs, I like the ones they sell in the camping department at stores
 
Ordering a crate fan: check
Water jug: check
Sunblock: gotta remember this, but check
wire crate and ex-pen: check
buying a shade cloth: check
cooler for me: check

I'd like to eventually buy a soft crate, but everything adds up, so his wire one will have to do. I'll write down the brand though, thanks.

Still need chairs (any suggestions?)

Debating on buying a mat through Clean Run. Thoughts on that?


Thanks everyone. I'm getting my list together. This is really helpful.

I like the folding director chairs with the folding side table. Clean run has a similar one that they call a sports chair. They are pricey but so much more comfortable then the regular folding chairs. If you are young and able to climb out of those low slung chair you can get a regular folding chair in the camping section of any store of $10-20.

My friend has one of the ground mats they are nice. Much better at keeping out the dew/dirt. I have use the blue tarps and they work as well.

Keep a look out of specials and changing inventory on the soft sided crates. I got a ton at Petsmart for $15 dollars a piece when they were changing brands.
 
if you want something very inexpensive to put on the ground- check out tablecloths at places like FamilyDollar or Dollar General.
also double as crate covers
 
Great advice everyone. Thanks!

I got a big blanket from my dad (it's old school Looney Tunes, cuz I'm old, lol). I was concerned about water soaking into it, so I'm thinking maybe buy one of those cheapy cloths at the Dollar store that someone suggested.

I bought the aluminet off of Clean Run and a portable fan that runs on batteries (just in case). That should be here by Friday. I hope.

Saturday is my sho-n-go. I'm excited and nervous. We'll see how Koji does with all the distractions. :) Should be fun regardless since they're doing a whole Halloween theme. Yes, I'm dressing Koji up. Poor guy. lol.

I completely forgot about the chairs. Need to go get some of those. And my instructor is letting me use her ezup.

And I thought agility equipment was expensive. This is going to add up. I plan on buying slowly though. I think an ezup may be my most needed piece though. Especially since here in CA, everything is outdoors and typically in HOT areas (although with winter/fall setting in, they may turn to COLD places, but nothing that has y'know, that white stuff).
 
Back
Top