Trimming "that" area

NHAnimator

Forums Regular
Jake will occasionally get diarrhea and will therefore require some cleaning on his backside hair. This is not good as he often stays with co-workers when I have to go on the road and they are left to deal with this situation.

I am wondering what others do as far as trimming the backside. My feeling is that less is better back there. But I'm looking for suggestions, even pictures of how their little ones look for ideas.

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator
 
Lots of threads on poop shute trims. We just simply put them up on grooming table,and cut away an area of about 2" long and about an inch or so wide. We simply use short blunt end scissors to get the job done.

The area of course would depend on your dog,as dogs are differant sizes.I keep in mind how the tail lays afterwards.You don't want to cut to much away,but yet enough so you clean up the area.

Its hard for me to explain,but I am sure many of the folks here,will be able to explain tail sets after a shute trim.

Trapp is a good one,for needing to check often.He does seem to "accumulate" easily.I don't have the dingle problem with Jasper.Every dog poops differantly.Thier stance,how they go..some are walkers...etc

Sheltie guide to grooming is a great book~
 
not that I'm recommending this, but I have seen as local sheltie with his backside shaved. So no pants at all. looks ridiculous to me, but I suppose if you are out of town a lot, it would make it easier for other people to care for him.
 

Yes to everything Melissa said.

I use a small lady's trimmer to do the poop chute. Its very gentle and therefore gives you lots of control. I would not use a true grooming shaver until you get the hang of what you are doing.

Also recommend that you have either a grooming arm or a helper. It's impossible to keep the dog still, lift the tail and shave at the same time.

Baby wipes are great for those quick clean ups (before they get "attached")

More important question: why does your pup have so much diarrhea? You'll want to get to the root cause of that. It could be any number of things: diet, worms, garbage eating, poop eating, etc.
 
Back
Top