Two questions

bdmann

Forums Regular
Okay I have two questions. The first one is what's the difference in a slicker brush and a deshedder? To me they seem like they do the same thing pretty much.
Now for my next question. I saw on one thread a few months ago, someone mentioned a book by some woman about grooming Shelties the proper way. If anyone remembers or knows what I'm talking about can you let me know what it's called? Please and thank you :biggrin2:
 
Okay I have two questions. The first one is what's the difference in a slicker brush and a deshedder? To me they seem like they do the same thing pretty much.
Now for my next question. I saw on one thread a few months ago, someone mentioned a book by some woman about grooming Shelties the proper way. If anyone remembers or knows what I'm talking about can you let me know what it's called? Please and thank you :biggrin2:

It is the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming. I purchased mine thru Amazon. A must for any sheltie owner.
 
Piggybacking off Michele here...

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Sheltie-Grooming-Barb/dp/093186660X

I just got a copy for Christmas. It's definitely all you'll ever want/need to know about Sheltie grooming. I'll be honest, it's a it intimidating, because it's by a show groomer, for show groomers, but I'm determined to wrap my head around it eventually, because I'd really like to be able to properly groom Lerwick myself, and not spend all that money on a groomer.

As for the brushes (and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, LOL), I believe the slicker brush is used to smooth the coat out after you're finished grooming, where as the deshedder is used on the undercoat to get rid of the loose fur.
 
The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming

It's is an excellent book for any Sheltie owner. Illustrations are clear and very helpful. I also purchased the book from Amazon.
 
You definitely want a slicker brush. I would get one that is not to stiff Be picky on this. This brush will become a staple of your grooming

I'm not sure what you mean by deshedder

A rake is a good investment for when the pups under coat gets particularly unruly.

If you mean a fulminant or be cautious. They are great if you are experienced enough in line brushing. But should never be used on a Shelties top coat (guard hair).

Most important is to learn how to line brush. And never brush your Sheltie without a spritz of water or water/conditioner. It breaks the coat.

Hope this helps
 
A slicker brush is made up of close spaced wires. A deshedder could be anything from a undercoat rate to a Furminator. Everybody has their favorite tools. I like a good quality undercoat rake, I have three different shapes. The Furminator works better on my GSD than the sheltie. I like a pin brush for finishing up.
 
Back
Top