Sharon7
Moderator
Well folks, you can't make this stuff up. Meadow has been on an increased dose of phenobarbital for her seizures which necessitates an exam and lab work to check her liver. So 10/2 we go in, she checks out perfect, blood drawn, wait for results.
Vet calls the next day and her pheno level is too high and her bile acids are also elevated. Need to reduce dose and recheck. Then my vet says, "She's related to Eli, right? I wonder if it's worth checking her gallbladder?" Now, she's only 4 so was not intending to scan her yet for a year or two, but she and I both like being thorough. So went in for an ultrasound on 10/8. My vet comes back in once again with a shocked expression and says "her GB is WORSE than Eli's!"
My jaw literally dropped. She called the surgeon for us again and that poor vet was SO upset for us, got us in the next week (today). She did another ultrasound and showed it to us. There is a big ball of solidified goo taking up most of the gallbladder, leaving only a small channel for it to drain into the small intestine. It is, indeed, BAD.
So 2 1/2 months after Eli, Meadow is having her own GB surgery on 10/28. Feeling very dumped on here, I can tell you all. Blessing is, Elijah is doing great, so holding onto the thought that once again, we caught it early enough, even though it's so big, her liver blood test is normal and she has no symptoms.
I did let our breeder know and she was speechless. I urged her to have Meadow's mom tested as she is Eli's sister and a favorite dog of hers. It's been nothing but medical crapola this whole year, starting with my rotator cuff surgery, all 3 dogs with issues, etc. Good grief.
Vet calls the next day and her pheno level is too high and her bile acids are also elevated. Need to reduce dose and recheck. Then my vet says, "She's related to Eli, right? I wonder if it's worth checking her gallbladder?" Now, she's only 4 so was not intending to scan her yet for a year or two, but she and I both like being thorough. So went in for an ultrasound on 10/8. My vet comes back in once again with a shocked expression and says "her GB is WORSE than Eli's!"
My jaw literally dropped. She called the surgeon for us again and that poor vet was SO upset for us, got us in the next week (today). She did another ultrasound and showed it to us. There is a big ball of solidified goo taking up most of the gallbladder, leaving only a small channel for it to drain into the small intestine. It is, indeed, BAD.
So 2 1/2 months after Eli, Meadow is having her own GB surgery on 10/28. Feeling very dumped on here, I can tell you all. Blessing is, Elijah is doing great, so holding onto the thought that once again, we caught it early enough, even though it's so big, her liver blood test is normal and she has no symptoms.
I did let our breeder know and she was speechless. I urged her to have Meadow's mom tested as she is Eli's sister and a favorite dog of hers. It's been nothing but medical crapola this whole year, starting with my rotator cuff surgery, all 3 dogs with issues, etc. Good grief.
