USDAA Survey

Cheryl, I'm so glad you spoke up about the height classes in USDAA. I've been frustrated by that 6-inch jump from 16 to 22, as well. But, I didn't even think to say anything about it when I was filling out the survey last week. There's no way I'm going to try jumping Phebe at 22. I want my girl to stay fast and sound, so we compete in the 16" Performance class.

As far as online entries, UKI is the cleanest and easiest I've seen and they don't charge you extra for using the online entry. It's a new, and therefore smaller, venue but another benefit is the opportunity to run European style courses. Lots of fun and a different challenge than either AKC or USDAA.
 
I'm doing my first USDAA show the 14th of May and I am a bit disappointed that I have to enter Trax in Performance because of the height differences. He had no problem competing at 20" before he got his challenge measurement in with AKC but it is definitely more work for him and harder on his joints over time. When we compete at 16" in AKC there are very few border collies that go against us unless they are running preferred and then they are in their own class where placements are concerned so who we compete against makes no difference to me, but a sheltie jumping 22"? Honestly, I don't think that's right.
 
Overall, I hope USDAA really considers the gap and adjusts it. I mean, if they don't, there's always Performance and I'm good with that.

A woman in my agility class has an Aussie the size of Koji. He's been knocking bars at 16" so another trainer suggested he jump in practice at 20" to get his jumps back (as in not flat). So, last night, since her dog never jumped 20", she did it at 18". I told my trainer I'd like to do that with Koji too. Mostly because I can see him getting close to dropping triples. Everyone agreed, Koji and the other dog look much better at 18".

I was unsure how Koji would do, because our course was made up of about 12 jumps all requiring RC's (obviously, that's what we were practicing). He can go up to a jump and clear it easily. I think 20" would force him to jump nicer. Not sure if I'm willing to jump him at that to train. I'll ask my trainer.

But overall, I wouldn't mind running Koji at 20" at his height (17.5 or more). But yeah, 22" is easily done for him, but I bet it'd be really hard on his joints. I'm just hoping training at 18" will help him remember to jump better, especially for those triples.
 
Back
Top