Vet shaved his ruff

Now I've just had two dogs in recently for dental surgery, Epic didn't need to have blood work being so young but he has a bit shaved from the top of his leg as he had to have a drip during the proceedure. Revel did have blood taken but they haven't shaved his neck - this is a different (better) practice than I used as described in my last post. Presumably they drew the blood from the leg.

However, here's a tale to make your hair stand on end.

Three years ago, Revel had a bout of acute and severe prostatitis. It was treated and reoccured so when the second (correct) treatement appeared to have worked, I asked to have a full blood panel taken just to be sure there were no underlying issues. Knowing he was a show dog (they deal a lot with show people) they opted not to shave. I was present so saw everything and this was a vet, not nurse or technician. No exaggeration they put that needle in his neck at least 10 times to get the blood, and this was the second attempt as on a previous visit the blood had clotted before the tests could be done. My brave dog was so stoical he never complained but it was horrendous to watch and after about 6 attempts, a second vet arrived and also had a go, so there were two fully qualified vets in attendance unable to draw blood from the jugular. I will add that he did have some hair shaved from the neck after a few attempts because I was getting very concerned - and even then, they couldn't get that blood. I didn't know whether to call a halt and have to face returning for a repeat performance on yet another occasion, or carry on letting them put holes in my dog until they hit upon a vein, it was truly awful.:mad:

(Understandably, once the treatment was complete I never went back there, not least because I had also had to fight to have the correct antibiotics for the longer course and insist they did a urine culture! I'm certain had this been done in the first place he wouldn't have had the reoccurance!)
 
Oh yikes. You'll have to let us know if the gel works, or how Deska felt about it. I'm kinda chuckling over here, but I feel your pain.

I have to say, it's interesting what vets do and don't do. Miko has been under for dental and for removing a large lump on his side. His leg/neck has never been shaved. Even when they removed the lump, the only part shaved was his side, and even then, you couldn't tell too much, because his hair covered it (granted, if the wind blew, you could see it big time). Interesting.

Ditto with Koji and his neuter.

I am grateful for the lack of shaving then. Makes me love my vets (and their techs) a bit more. :)
 
I would add that both my dogs have been shaven for blood work.....but usually only a patch about 1 inch square, and definitely not the feathers. they wrap one of those elasto bandages around the leg.

I guess this is a good heads up for people who are using their vet for the first time for bloodwork.....ASK THEM ABOUT THEIR SHAVING POLICY!
 
Now I've just had two dogs in recently for dental surgery, Epic didn't need to have blood work being so young but he has a bit shaved from the top of his leg as he had to have a drip during the proceedure. Revel did have blood taken but they haven't shaved his neck - this is a different (better) practice than I used as described in my last post. Presumably they drew the blood from the leg.

However, here's a tale to make your hair stand on end.

Three years ago, Revel had a bout of acute and severe prostatitis. It was treated and reoccured so when the second (correct) treatement appeared to have worked, I asked to have a full blood panel taken just to be sure there were no underlying issues. Knowing he was a show dog (they deal a lot with show people) they opted not to shave. I was present so saw everything and this was a vet, not nurse or technician. No exaggeration they put that needle in his neck at least 10 times to get the blood, and this was the second attempt as on a previous visit the blood had clotted before the tests could be done. My brave dog was so stoical he never complained but it was horrendous to watch and after about 6 attempts, a second vet arrived and also had a go, so there were two fully qualified vets in attendance unable to draw blood from the jugular. I will add that he did have some hair shaved from the neck after a few attempts because I was getting very concerned - and even then, they couldn't get that blood. I didn't know whether to call a halt and have to face returning for a repeat performance on yet another occasion, or carry on letting them put holes in my dog until they hit upon a vein, it was truly awful.:mad:

(Understandably, once the treatment was complete I never went back there, not least because I had also had to fight to have the correct antibiotics for the longer course and insist they did a urine culture! I'm certain had this been done in the first place he wouldn't have had the reoccurance!)

I watched my vet and the tech try for Callie's neck for blood a couple years ago- then they tried the leg and all was well. so even though it's in her chart to take from her leg- I always remind them for her annual blood work:winkgrin:
 
Back
Top