Warning- internet puppy scams.

be aware that people are doing it on FB too, usually they are from other countries. I had someone do it to my photos and to someone in Australia, we ended up getting them banned from FB...but yes its getting to the point where people are going to have to start watermarking their photos. Sad really that there are scum out there trying to rip people off by passing off our dogs as their own!!!!!!! That is my biggest pet peeve people using and or taking other peoples pictures without permission and posting it on their site.

But yes generally people who sell on petfinder or what ever the puppymill sites are are less than ethical to begin with!!
 
The internet is such a two-edged sword. It's a great place to find authentic breeders, but also a source of scams. My motto is "Find on the internet, but meet in person!" :cool:
 
The internet is such a two-edged sword. It's a great place to find authentic breeders, but also a source of scams. My motto is "Find on the internet, but meet in person!" :cool:
exactly! Great place to do your homework but doesnt replace actually meeting the person!
 
I found Emma through a classifieds web site. Thankfully everything went well with her and it was all legit. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who will scam others, particularly at this time of the year.

Yeah, I found Sadie's breeder a similar way and she's not only a reputable breeder, but a wonderful person.

I don't blame you for being upset Dr. Shelli, I would be too. I'm just sorry that there are such dishonest people out there. But hopefully with the help of your friend, this person was shut down before he/she could scam anyone. And you've also given us all something to think about, when we post our cute puppy photos.
 
What a horrid thing to happen!
I will add I've heard of unscrupulous breeder/dealers using pedigree information from people's websites to make up fictional pedigrees for pups which may not even be pure bred. I don't know what you could do to prevent this except not putting a pedigree on a webpage.

So awful there are types out there that would do this type of thing:mad:
 
When I was looking for a puppy I came across sooooo many websites that gave me an ooogy feeling. They were all the type where breeders can advertise that they have puppies available.

I did this also. I was lucky, because I was able to go through the Sheltie Kennel Clubs of the NewEngland states, where I contacted several members who had their emails advertised. I was then put in contact with another member, Sandstorms breeder, in New Hampshire, who I would not have found otherwise. The breeder then emailed me a picture of Sandstorm, along with her phone number. Some people don't have kennel clubs in close proximity like this, in that case, going on the internet and calling breeders with web pages is the way to go. Then you will know if they are legitimate because they will give you references.
I found that there are alot more sleazy websites than good ones, but if you are careful you certainly can tell the difference!!
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so disgusted by this person thinking they could do such a thing,and so sorry you have gone thru this.

A couple of folks mentioned watermarking photos,it is sad that one would have to go to such extent.But things like this happen all the time,and its not just puppies.

About 3 years ago,a friend of mine that lives in Arizona,she is a phenominal gourd artist,had some of her pieces stolen,and pictures were put on the thiefs website.

This person stole a picture from Bonnies website,then claimed they had done the artwork.Then puts on thier site the piece is not avialable for sale,but they did sell the dremal cutter that created the effect. Such low lifes out there.

Thank goodness you were made aware of it,and took action to stop them from doing it again.
 
Wow that is disgusting! On my breeder's site the photographer signs the pictures. Others will state the pictures belong to the sellers, like copy rights, request not to copy. Its really awful what you have to do stopping these thieves.

To me its really sad for everything you do anymore, do ya have to lawyer up to protect yourself?

I bought Lucky in person, but I did get Lil' Lady off the internet. Her breeder is in my state, and I did call around to check. ASSA, Sheltie Clubs, etc.. ASSA stated to me (not the name) but a breeder in my state, only the location, to stay away. Was not the breeder where I purchased Lil' Lady. I have that etched in my mind.
 
Yeah there are quite a few internet puppy scams out there. Me & my mom were considering a yorkie and we found an ad for a "free" one online for our local area. We emailed them and they then said they were actually in a whole other country and would ship it to us, this shipping fee was around $100-$200. I knew something was up so I researched puppy scams a bit and this is quite common. Good thing we saw them through, thats just cruel.
We will be buying a sheltie from a breeder over in the next town, so we won't be falling for any scams now. :)
 
Back
Top