Weave poles

2GoodDogs

Forums Enthusiast
I've got 6 stick in the ground poles, and two of the 2x2 sections.

I've watched the 2x2 DVD and we aren't quite getting the entrance *every* time. About to abandon the method because we don't have enough sections.

So...

what is your advice to a newbie trying to learn weaves at home?
 
The personality of your dogs will influence how they learn best. Mine are used to long, repetitive training from Flyball so long sessions worked better than short daily training. How do you think your dog learns best?

I tried the 2x2 method and it didnt help me, and I had 6 poles in the ground and they never seemed to get it either. And I did 5min a day for ages and never seemed to make progress.

I found using the whole set of 12 poles worked better so they could get a rythmn going (had to go to the park or dog club for this). We started with guides on all the poles (so they could do them all and get the rythmn). Then I left the entry and exit guides, and a couple in between. They learnt more doing longer sessions of weave drills (up to an hour at a time) with roast chicken rewards and ball chasing each successful pass, than the weeks of 5min a day.
 
I have never used the 2x2 method. In fact, I'm not sure I really understand what it entails.

That being said, we had great success with channel weaves. It teaches the dog to drive all the way through from the beginning.

I also wanted to say--don't get discouraged! It took us a REALLY long time to teach weaves. I remember saying to my husband that Bentley was never going to get it. But he did!

So keep at it :)
 
I agree, different dogs are going to learn better with different techniques. We learned the weaves using Channel Weaves so I really don't understand how the 2x2 method works. Does it work, yes. Is it the best method for all dogs, no.

The way we trained the weaves was to work at them a few minutes at a time multiple times per day. I built a set of weaves using these instructions, http://www.instantagility.com/2008/05/05/adjustable-channel-weave-poles/ (modified to make a set of 12 instead of 6) and every time we went out to pee/poop we would run the channel a few times. After about 6 months, Edan was weaving with the channel closed very nicely.

This past winter I broke my set down to 4 poles and just worked on weave entries. (I didn't completely glue the set together; just the points where glue was needed so things didn't fall over.)
 
Back
Top