What prep for puppy school?

SheepOfBlue

Premium Member
I think I am going to take Sca to the Petsmart puppy school in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone recommends any prep?

I assume I need to bring treats and his leash. Not sure about harness vs collar or extenda-leash vs fixed length.

Thanks for the help (oh and I missed the local obediance club school by a couple of days :( )
 
Bailey is enrolled in petsmart puppy classes. I always carry a bag with treats, toy, a blankets (cuz sometimes they make us sit on the floor), leash, harness and baby wipes. I always carry them with me in case any poop sticks to her fur or she gets dirty.
 
Most times a simple buckle collar is best for class...for Shelties maybe a martingale..Our collar of choice is a rolled leather.
I like to use a treat pouch...its easier to get treats out then just in your pocket. If they do clicker training there...maybe get it "charged" meaning pup knows when he hears the click he did something right and gets a treat. Do this by just clicking and treating..then after a few times wait til pup looks at you before clicking and treating..takes about 5 to 10 minutes for them to get it...

I'd work on getting pup to know his name...meaning pup looks at you when he hears his name...looking at you...nose touching your hand.

Take a very hungry pup to class...if pup is a hyper one, run off some of that energy before class.

Get puppy used to wearing a leash...just let him drag it around a bit...under supervision of course!!

Thats all I can think of...Have fun!!

Julie
Clancy & Abby
 
Thanks and is he hyper :lol: I can wear him out and he will settle for a snooze until I move then he is ready for a few more hours.
 
I assume I need to bring treats and his leash. Not sure about harness vs collar or extenda-leash vs fixed length.

For training, you want to have a fixed length leash rather than a retractable leash. You actually have more control over the dog with a fixed length leash. It's also very difficult to train loose lead walking with a retractable.

For the treats, make sure they are small and soft; something they can eat in one bite, or no more than two. Things that crunch sometimes take some chewing before the dog can swallow. The only exception to this may be if you use their kibble for a treat since that is usually small enough that one or two bites and its gone. The downside to using kibble is that it isn't a "special" reward for the correct behavior. I use Zukes Mini Naturals; which, unfortunately, they don't sell at PetSmart. I have also used Pet Botanics Training Reward Treats, which they do sell at PetSmart, and I have known people to also use Bil-Jac Liver Treats, (I won't use the Bil-Jac because it has corn, wheat, and a lot of fillers in it.)

Hope that helps.
 
Last edited:
They will most likely provide you with a list when you sign up, but here is what to expect

- 6 foot fixed length leash
- preferably a martingale collar (the first time Bacca slipped his collar was at puppy school, he was so excited - that's what sent me on the search for a new collar)
- soft treats - Zukes Mini's are perfect. I used to cut them into quarters for puppy school. You go through alot of treats and to feed them whole would like their entire dinner!
- a treat bag that you can wear on your hip.
- toy....part of the training will likely include "settle" and "leave it" with their favourite toy
- a clicker if you decide to clicker train
- nice to have - portable pet water bottle. Bacca was always pretty thirsty by the time we were done!
 
Back
Top