When will my puppy stop growing?

atjl

Forums Novice
I’m pre-ordering this really beautiful collar and leash set for Izzy.

The collar sizes come in 14”, 16” and one more size up. She would fit a 14” one now, with slightly more than two fingers’ gap.

She’s already 15.7” tall at the shoulder and nearly 9kg at 5 months old.

Do bigger shelties take a longer time to reach their full size? If you have/had a big sheltie, do you think she’s going to be a big sheltie or will she stop growing soon?

If I were to guess how tall she’ll be at full size by looking at the curve on growth charts, I’d say she has two inches more to go... but that’s just extrapolating. Is it a possibility that she may stop growing soon??

What do you think? Should I go ahead with the 14” collar?

Thanks!
 
I think so. It sounds like you *might* have to size up in while down the road, but the 16 will definitely be too big for a while. As for when they stop growing- with my dogs, there's never been a definite time. They just sort of eventually taper out and the short bones fill out more. Sorry- I'm not a lot of help.
 
It definitely depends on the dog and the dog’s pedigree. I had one dog that stopped growing (height-wise) around 7months, and another that grew until he was a year old.
 
I think so. It sounds like you *might* have to size up in while down the road, but the 16 will definitely be too big for a while. As for when they stop growing- with my dogs, there's never been a definite time. They just sort of eventually taper out and the short bones fill out more. Sorry- I'm not a lot of help.

Thank you for the advice! I decided to size up after putting on her collar today (she doesn’t wear it at home and wears a harness on walks). I measured the collar and it was 14.5” so definitely going for the 16”, espcially since I expect her adult coat to be thicker. If it’s still too loose when she’s full-grown, well, it’s still a pretty collar so I’ll have her wear it indoors haha!
 
Back
Top