Who Uses Dog Seatbelts?

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
I've often wonderes whether this is a good thing or not? It seems to me it would be a good idea so that in the event of a car accident your dog doesn't go flying.

However dogs aren't people and a dog seatbelt doesn't fit the same way as a human seatbelt. Maybe it will do more harm then good?

Sadie is very good in the car, she just lies down and is silent. I'm not sure that a seatbelt would be very comforable for her, although safety is definitely more important than comfort!
 
If I could, I'd have my dogs in crate with a seatbelt around it in the car. But I don't have a crate small enough and one of my dogs (the German Shepherd) is 84 lbs.
 
I have regular harnesses for both of my dogs. Then I have seatbelt attachments that stay in the car so I can hook them up as soon as they get in. I was in bad traffic once and had to slam on the brakes and the dog that I had then who wasn't belted fell onto the floor. I worried about him until I could get to a place where I could get off the highway and check him to make sure that he wasn't hurt. He got the first seatbelt attachment which was inherited by the next dog. Most pet stores sell a combo harness/seatbelt which would probably work just as well. We never drive anywhere until the pups are belted in. They can sit, lie down, move way too far from one side to the other- then they get tangled together :wink2:
but they are quite comfortable and safe.
 
I have regular harnesses for both of my dogs. Then I have seatbelt attachments that stay in the car so I can hook them up as soon as they get in. I was in bad traffic once
What kind do you use? I got one from Orvis but couldn't figure out how to make it work with a one-piece lap/shoulder belt. Bad traffic once? :eek2: Oh, you lucky thing. I drive into Washington DC and back every day. Highway madness is my life. :rolleyes2:
 
What kind do you use? I got one from Orvis but couldn't figure out how to make it work with a one-piece lap/shoulder belt. Bad traffic once? :eek2: Oh, you lucky thing. I drive into Washington DC and back every day. Highway madness is my life. :rolleyes2:

That one time was while I was in the DC area- on the Beltway heading for 270 :(. The first one I got at a Petsmart in the Falls Church area- I don't know the brand offhand but I haven't been able to find one like it since then. It is an adjustable strap with a clip on one end and 2 seatbelt hooks- just like what is on the end of the seatbelt in the car. One fits older cars and one fits newer cars. so you just snap it in like a regular seatbelt. The newer one has a loop that the seatbelt feed through so that the seatbelt is always fastened and the strap is on the seatbelt- it's main method of attachment is to hook onto the LATCH bar that carseats use. I don't remember the brand of that one either but it was purchased more recently.
 
Seatbelts

I prefer crates but my car is to small so I use a harnesss that attaches to my seatbelt and it works great. I got mine at Pet Smart.
 
I use a harness on Jack when we ride in the car. He usually lies in the second seat. The harness is attached to the (clipped) seat belt by a strap with a swivel hook on it. The current harness is just plain webbing. The first one that I purchased was lined in sheepskin, but Jack chewed it up. I would never let him go free in the car. Even without an accident, he could still be hurt if I had to brake fast. Plus, he once tried to climb into my lap while I was driving. That was when I stopped and bought the harness setup. It works well. (I think it came from PetSmart.)

"Shelties are Love"
 
Thanks so much!

Thanks for heading me to PetSmart -- I'll check today! Layla insists on riding in my lap, and I worry so much about it. Since we've been traveling more frequently, she's seemed more amenable to being in the seat next to me. Annie is perfect in the seat, but both really need a seat belt! :yes:
 
Treader insists riding on my lap at first, but once we get going he's all over the car. Looking out window. He even whines a little like he'd like to go check out some trees and bushes that we drive by.
 
OK, I bought a seatbelt for the gang -- we only take one at a time. Thanks for the PetSmart tip -- boy, those suckers aren't cheap. :eek2:
 
Back
Top