You ain't nothing but a hound dog!

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Hi

In one of my more recent grooming sessions, I got a little scissor happy on Bacca's ears.

I trimmed his ears as if he had proper tipped ears and the end result is quite pathetic. Bacca's ears are very thing and as result tend to droop "hound-like" and are therefore over-tipped. As I discovered, if I trim his ears like a "show-pup", the visual effect is a flat head!

Any suggestions on how one should trim a hound pups ears? I want to keep them neat, and avoid mats - hence my aggressive trimming.
 
thinning sheers are your best friend :lol: Warning im horrible at discribing and can show better but this will have to do since your kinda far away from me:biggrin2:

Do behind the ears not short but you want a nice clean angle leading up the back of the head between a 30-40 degree angle.. This will stop the mats from forming behind the ears in that crazy crimpy sheltie fur!!

Next take the ears your pointer finger on the inside of the ear and thumb on the tip on the outside so you can roll their ears up and down while rolling the ear up and down with your thinning sheers held horizantal trim so its all the same lenght no long and short pieces of fur but you dont want to trim close to the skin leave them plush so their expression doesnt look harsh.

than with your thinners hold the ear straight up so its prick and trim the outline of the ear be careful not to cut the ear (i always put my on the egde of the ear skin so I would cut myself before them).

Im not sure if this helps or what you were looking for? I use the Sheltie grooming book often when I hit an area that looks odd and dont know which direction to trim...:rolleyes2: everyonce and awhile I'll have an area pop up that leaves me stumped...
 
Im not sure if this helps or what you were looking for? I use the Sheltie grooming book often when I hit an area that looks odd and dont know which direction to trim...:rolleyes2: everyonce and awhile I'll have an area pop up that leaves me stumped...

Love the sheltie grooming guide - worth getting a hold of if you can. Deska's ears are too floppy. I cut according the the guide and it does make a difference.

Basically trim the front fold area, including the edges, and inside the ear. You can trip the back fold if you want but not as much as the front.

I also trim the hair at the edges of the ear as well so it gives better definition to the heavy ear - which tends to get lost in a lot of fur.

The guide says to trim the ear in arches, not in straight lines across the ear. But that assumes your dog doesnt wriggle and you are adept with scissors. Me, I cut any which way I can while I've got the dog in a headlock.:lol:

Trimming scissors are a must. I find the single tooth easier but if you have the patience the Guide recommends the double edged scissors.
 
You can take the thinners, and shorten up the hair in front of the ear to create the illusion that the ears aren't quite as houndy as they are.
Oh boy... when I was learning to groom, I used my pets for practice, and did ear trimming ever look bad on my prick eared little girl!
 
I use the Sheltie grooming book often when I hit an area that looks odd and dont know which direction to trim...:rolleyes2: everyonce and awhile I'll have an area pop up that leaves me stumped...

Doh! What an idiot...I've got Barb Ross's book and completely forgot that it had instructions for dealing with different ear types.

Thanks everyone (for reminding me of my senility!) :rolleyes2::razz::smile2:
 
Back
Top