Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan not eating... sort of

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Glad Edan is doing better!

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think you are a few posts behind. :smile2:

Edan's vet put him on Flagyl on Wednesday and he's been eating his old food, mixed with some pureed (all natural baby food) sweet potato, ever since. We tried to find pumpkin but it's out of stock everywhere; one of the stores told us there's a pumpkin shortage. According my my vet, sweet potato is a good alternative to pumpkin.

3. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    SIDEBAR: There is a pumpkin shortage especially here in the Northeast and the Great Lakes area. All the rain we had last summer just rotted the pumpkins in the fields. And yes, sweet potato is a great alternative.

Glad to hear Edan is coming along this morning.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Friday Update

Well, so far Edan's been his old self. :smile2: Yesterday at Agility class he was a bit hyperactive which is MUCH better than the lethargic dog I had over the weekend and earlier this week.

So far the Flagyl seems to be solving the problem. :yes:

Either Celtic Fire or I will post an update on Monday.

Thanks for the continued prayers and well wishes for our little guy.

5. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    We'll keep fingers and paws crossed here and hope that Edan is past his tummy and food troubles.

6. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    :yes::yes:, Edan is feeling better, wonderful, wonderful! He's probably a little hyper due to the fact that he wans't feeling good and now he's like, "YAY, I'm back"..

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Sounds like doggie virus -- Bits had one, too. Same behavior, and now she's fine!! Glad to hear Edan's back in fine fettle! :biggrin2:

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Thought I'd take a moment to throw a quick update on Edan out here.

He's almost finished with the Flagyl - Saturday morning will be his last dose. He's only had one incident of throwing up since he's been on it and that was Tuesday; a very minimal amount and I believe caused by the fact that he still really hasn't been eating without a fuss.

Simply, he really wants nothing to do with eating the Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice formula whether we serve it dry, with gravy or with sweet potato. He grudgingly eats it because he is hungry (super slowly, about 1/4 - 1/2 of the serving with coaxing then the rest about 1 hour later) but you can tell he's not happy. This is the dog that would devour his food in 30 seconds flat if we didn't put it in toys prior to getting sick about mid-February.

So, we decided to try a different variety of the Holistic Select food - the Duck to be specific in the hopes that it is close enough to Chicken not to upset his stomach too much. We can't mix the foods because he'll just spit out the Chicken and Rice ones. (We've watched him do that already.) He ate this food without hesitation. I just have to be careful for the diarrhea to reappear. I'm hoping it won't be too bad because he's still on the flagyl for the next few days.

Our eventual goal is to transition him to Blue Wilderness Chicken and Turkey (grain free food from Blue Buffalo) but we need something to help bring his system back to normal before we try to transition to the Blue Wilderness. (I do have a small bag of Blue Wilderness in the house. I'm using it for training treats at the moment; only giving him 5 or 6 pieces for simple tricks like sit, down, stand, high five, or spin.)

So, overall things are getting better but we still aren't quiet at 100%. We'll know in a few days but it does seem the fight to get him to eat was the fact that he connected BOTH the TOTW and the Chicken flavor Holistic Select with getting sick.

Here's hoping things continue to improve.

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad he's feeling a bit better and is on the right track. I hope he doesn't have too much of a problem with the duck meal. Good luck and keep us updated.

10. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I was just going to post to see how Edan was doing.glad he is making some headway,and feeling better~