Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

17 yr old in Palm Beach....

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I know Collie Rescue in this area does transports. They have one rescue for New England through NY so that might explain why the transports?
    From what I understand it depends on the willingness of the local rescue to surrender the pure bred dog to a rescue. Some are glad to work with rescues as it frees up their resources others can be more difficult. In many cases the breed rescues have more resources for foster care and need specific training, grooming, vet care, etc. for specific breeds rather than general breed rescues. They can also target homes that are suitable to specific breeds when they have more knowledge or what does or doesn't work for different types of dogs.

As for adopting out of state the only time I've ever heard of it working is breed to breed rescue. There are some that do work together across state lines or in cases where breed rescues cover more than one state breed district lines.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That is wonderful, Gloria!! Thanks for making this happen and thanks to Sandy for bringing it to our attention. I'm going to post this on my Facebook page too in case other Sheltie people would like to donate.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    LADDIE UPDATE:
    We got Laddie out yesterday. He has already been to the vet. His blood work should tell us more. That will take a few days. He is not neutered, has a heart murmur, but not as bad as they thought. He is 16 as he was picked up in 2018 as a stray with a chip. This time the info was the phone is disconnected. So not sure. He is sweet snd confused, slow, hearing is gone and site is not well. He is eating, drinking well and does seem content. He gets along with his foster shelties.
    Thank you so much for your help and caring. I will put up some happy pics on our web site. ❤️
    Big hug
    Barb

RikyR, Ron Atkinson, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to say that being allowed to adopt over state lines, once a person has passed all requirements for adoption, can change lives! PSSR Sheltie Rescue in Ohio allowed me to adopt Mr Chance! The best Sheltie have ever owned! It can work!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank you, Ann! I know Barb will appreciate any donation no matter how small! Blessings to all involved to help Laddie!

6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So excited to hear they have Laddie. Was he at animal Control since 2018 or did he get away a second time? I got a response from Barbara as well, excited to be able to see pics of him on her site and hopefully hear some good news about him. Sounds like a crafty character if he ran off twice and is still smiling after all his adventures!

RikyR, Ron Atkinson, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, it does sound like he got way twice. I thanked Barb so much for her efforts! Her response was so wonderful I know she would not mind if I posted it…

Oh Gloria it’s not me, it’s you ALL. Your my hero’s. That’s what WE do. How much do we love this breed? We love them so much how could we let a 16 year old die in a shelter with no one to love him, scared and stinky? They are so proud, so loving I just could not shut my eyes to a little sheltie named “Laddie”.
    You can tell someone loved this guy at one time. Have no idea how he got to this point. What we have done is chip all our rescues that stay as second contract for the life of the rescue. I don’t think the previous owner would have wanted him in a shelter…. EVER
    Thank you all who support us.
    Big hug
    Fondly
    Barbara

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    That lady is so special - I donated once before to a 12 year old she rescued who was so neglected. I believe she does it all by herself with the help of some foster families. She has earned a special place in heaven, in my book. THANK YOU to all SN folks who donated to help Laddie, to Sandy for alerting us, to Gloria for contacting Barbara. Big high 5 to everyone!

Sandy in CT, Ann, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    AMEN!

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT