Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bed preferences/options

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by Jess041, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Looking for new bed options for Missy and wondering what other people’s shelties like. That is, if they use a bed lol. Missy is one who will opt for the floor most of the time but she does have a Kuranda (elevated pvc bed) that she likes. I think we’ve had it 7 or 8 years and it’s the only bed she’s consistently used. I finally got around to ordering a replacement fleece pad that goes on top. They are machine washable but after all this time it’s just gotten too gross. Hopefully she doesn’t turn her nose up to the replacement! She doesn’t appear to like really plush beds or even bolster beds. She likes to sleep on her side with her legs straight out vs curled up in a ball so I’ve been looking at just flat, rectangular, orthopedic beds. I have a bed for her in my office for her to lay on during the day while I work but she rarely sleeps on it.

So, do you have a dog that likes beds? If so, what kind?

2. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Teddy has 3 beds he likes, one is a platform that is about 4 inches off the floor with a mesh like cover the second is a crate pad that sits beside my recliner.and his favorite is his dog sized cooling mattress from chewy. He doesn't like the plushy style at all.

He had one of those, said it was machine washable, my wife washed it and it got caught and tore the seam losing lots of fiber filling. Well next thing she tells me is the washer is broke. Called the service tech and they said they were behind so it would be 1 month before they could come over. So at her prompting I became the service man. I found more filling inside the washer than was in the bed and the pump was full of the filling.
    I will only buy him beds that have the removable cover from now on. I learned my lesson :)

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I saw the cooling beds on Chewy today and wondered if that would be something she liked! I personally don’t like those pillows with the cooling memory foam, but she might!

4. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I got him the large because He likes to spread out sometimes. During the night he moves from the mattress to the crate pad to laying on me in the recliner. When it was really hot he also sleeps on the kitchen floor.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I have a huge Kirkland dog bed Finnie and Blueberry love but it’s so big ( round and at least 3 feet across) and can’t be washed...it’s days are numbered lol.
    Blueberry has Finnie’s bolster bed in her pen ( also not washable ) and Piper is not a fan of beds other than my own lol.
    I do have a faux sheepskin bed that’s not super thick so I can wash it but they don’t care for it much. Too many beds!

Sandy in CT and Ron Atkinson like this.
  6. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My parents have a couple large Kirkland dog beds at their house. Missy has never laid in them. She prefers laying on the cool tile floor or the ottoman in the middle of the living room.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I have a variety of fuzzy beds for mine that everyone likes in the winter, but in the summer months I put out cooler, quilted beds I've gotten from Overstock. I love them and so do the dogs. They're orthopedic memory foam and the quilted covers are washable and really easy to take off and put back on. And best of all, not expensive! I have them in both medium and large sizes. Here's a link.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    We have a big variety also. The one that gets the most use by all three looks like what Ann linked to. It has bolsters on 3 sides and a removable cover. Then we have thick mats that are washable rectangles, there is no foam or filling in them. They prefer those in the summer or just for a change. Faith's favorite spot is "her" corner of the couch! I did splurge on plush fuzzy bed that was advertised on the Cricket Chronicles, and none of the dogs is interested!!! :rolleyes2:

9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Leftover three inch memory foam cut to a rectangle from an old mattress topper, wrapped in a cheapie couch throw from Walmart or Biglots. Easy to throw in washer, no zippers to mess with. If my "diggers" ruin the throw oh well! I even found a cute one for like 5.00 with paws and fire hydrants and bones on it. They aren't used at all till winter. Koko never sleeps on a dog bed.

10. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Well I bought a $30 elevated/cot bed from Amazon (K&H brand) and she laid on it for all of 2 minutes before she moved to lay on the floor next to it lol. We’ll see what she does during the day tomorrow, since it got delivered with less than an hour left in my workday. Stubborn dog.

Piper's mom, Ann, ghggp and 3 others like this.