Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best food for a nursing mother?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Donna Jean, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Donna Jean

Donna Jean Forums Novice

Feb 1, 2017
    Crawfordville,Florida
    The vet recommended a brand they sell there at the office. However, are there recommendations on other brands? Grain free yes or no? What if the mother is on the skinny side?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    I am far from an expert on this. I will say that Tara's puppies were pretty big compared to her. She got very, very thin. We gave her vitamins and doubled her two daily meals. And at the height of nursing, we added a third meal. She is gaining her weight back.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It is VERY important for a mother dog to eat a high quality, (no by-products, wheat, corn, soy) dog food, which would exclude most of the food sold by vets. Nursing mothers should be fed puppy food because it's richer and they need extra calories. She should eat three or four times a day until she's done nursing to help her produce the milk the puppies need. Both the dam and puppies can become ill if the mother is not fed properly. My dogs eat Fromm Gold Puppy Food during and after pregnancy, available on www.chewy.com.

Here's an article by the AKC that helps to explain the dam's need for extra calories and high quality food.
    http://www.akc.org/content/dog-bree...e-and-feeding-of-the-breeding-bitch-part-two/

Cara Sandler likes this.
  4. Annabellam

Annabellam Forums Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    I agree. It is absolutely important to feed a healthy diet. Puppy food is great as it has most nutrients needed. Also be sure the nursing mom has a lot of water so as to generate the volume of milk needed to feed the litter.