Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Collar or Harness?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by cmae, Dec 12, 2014.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I like martingales as well

I used a harness on Callan when he was a puppy. It was fine until he started to get too furry, I couldn't clip the darn thing on without snathching fur

So I'm back to martingale. And back to my favourite custom made. (Unfortunately I don't think she's making them anymore) Try to find a 1/4" rolled martingale. You won't likely find it in pet shops The rolled helps eliminate matting. The martingale helps avoid slipping the leash (if sized properly)

2. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    I see the same thing eventually happening with us.. our boy is goin to be a furball! Any chance you know where to get these types of martingales? Online?

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am currently learning a new way of making custom rolled satin dog collars and martingales. Maybe someday I can help everyone out. Just a little hobby to keep from going nuts since I quit working.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Collar....preferably a martingale, as narrow as possible to avoid matting.

The martingale will avoid slipping the collar syndrome, and a rolled version will help avoid matting.

You only need a harness if the dog is a puller. But you can train a dog not a pull. Truly, you can

I did also use a harness when Callan was a pup. Mostly when at the cottage. It was just easier to attach to the car harness and to grab him on the dock.

Now he is back to his rolled martingale that he inherited from Bacca.

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    From what I see in classes and in the park, harnesses are the most popular. I don't know, but for me and mine - a harness means 'pull!" I go tracking in harness, not walking.

I use a martingale collar from puppyhood on, as a safety, since they cannot back out or slip one. I use the same collar to train with.

Although I might have to re-think this with Flyer. :lol:

Really though, harnesses offer less control than collars, right?