Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Contacting a Breeder - Should I?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Elei, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Sure, as long as you bring your Shelties!!! I live on a farm, so it is mostly sheep, horse & cattle pasture, and several acres of orchards.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I wrote a pretty decent length email to the first breeder that I contacted after I lost my first sheltie who was a rescue. I wrote similar length emails to a couple other breeders too....
    I did end up getting a puppy from that first breeder and while I let the other breeders know, one of them still contacted me over a month later to see if I was still interested in a puppy from that litter.
    never too early to get on a waiting list......

Elei, Ann, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  3. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    So my 'several paragraph' email turned into 9-10 paragraphs... They're not super long paragraphs. Does that sound too long or ok?
    Thanks!!
    P.S. I may be over thinking this a tiny bit, but dogs are really important to me!:)

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds a bit long - remember you are emailing a stranger, so they may not be thrilled by that much detail. Edit it down to the basic info you want to convey, and add lots of enthusiasm. Definitely state you've had Sheltie(s) before, the breeders I know say that definitely gives people a leg up.

5. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks for the feedback! I will edit and shorten it.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    my email was about 6-7 decent size paragraphs. a couple of the breeders, I had friends who knew them so I mentioned those people in the email too....

7. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I just emailed the breeder, so now I just have to be patient and see what happens! :fl
    Thank you everyone for all your advice! It made me less nervous about contacting the breeder.

8. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    Fingers crossed....good luck! :)

Elei, Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Update: I'm on the breeder's wait list!!!! Everything sounds just wonderful and I am super excited. :):):) There might be a puppy in my near future.....
    Thank you all again for your support and advice.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Hooray! Be sure to update us when there's news! :yes:

Wendy C, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.