Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does kibble spoil?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Rileys mom, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I agree with everyone else. Two weeks is ridiculous. I have had pets all my life and always bought the big 15 pound bags (unless switching foods) and never once had any of it go bad. I always store mine in an air tight container. My cats food lasts up to 4 months before I have to buy him more. And growing up, my mom always got big bags of dog food for our sheltie from a local feed place that only sold the big 30 pound bags. The food never went bad and she never had any problems.

2. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Okay, thanks, it is good to know that other people have not experienced any problems with kibble. I may just get smaller bags in the summer as they will be able to fit in the container I have in the house instead of being in the garage. I feel silly now for getting worried from the food rep.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    We have a food container with a large screw top that is sealed with a o-ring. It will take up to a 20 lb. bag and fits nicely in the bottom of our pantry. Never had any issues with spoilage.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Don't feel silly, you did the right thing by asking for other peoples experiences. To not ask and continue to worry about would have been silly. :wink2:

5. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    This is a fairly level-headed article on the topic.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023682_food_foods_pet.html

I'd say if the kibble is stored properly (in a cool, dry, dark environment) and used by or around the "sell by" date, you should be fine. I'd be concerned buying any food product that wasn't dated, BTW.

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    very informative!!

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Just one other comment: years ago we had a little sheltie that had to be on a very specialized diet and the kibble was not carried by any local stores so we had to order it and have it home delivered. The one problem was that the company would not deliver an order less that 100 pounds...and with only one 19 pound sheltie on this diet it took forever to use the kibble. I found that by dividing the kibble as soon as it was delivered into 10 pound packages and freezing them we were able to keep the kibble fresh over the many, many months it took to use it. If you are concerned about spoilage, it does work to freeze.

Trini

8. Horse Chestnut

Horse Chestnut Forums Regular

Jul 1, 2015
    Columbus, OH
    Hard to say, since I'm not about to taste it. But kibble is made with rendered fat (which can stay good for months), and preservatives are added, so I would imagine it would last longer than 2 weeks. Of course, it should not be kept in a moist or hot environment, so I would not store it in basements or garages. As many people have stated here, keep it in the bag and keep the bag in an airtight container.