Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to be a sheltie lady with no more shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by lasheltie, Nov 15, 2022.

1. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    I have had shelties since 2005. At one time I had 8 of them , all rescues. I would call their names & they would each go to their own bowl to eat. Over time I rehomed some (very few) & several passed away but I always had a sheltie to love. With help from Sheltie Nation I was able to give London & Bailey (from CT) a home in 2012 until they passed away.
    Today will be the day that my last sweet sheltie boy will leave us. Jack was 11 months old when I rescued him from a crazy situation in 2005. He has been the one that welcomed every new buddy. But he has stopped eating, can't get up & just lays on his bean bag. We had hoped he would cross without us making the hard decision but we are having to do the best thing for him.
    I'm going to think of him roaming around with his best friend Buddy who went before him. It's the thing that makes it even the tiniest bit bearable.
    Everyone knows me as the sheltie lady so I don't know how to look out & not see one. I have 4 other dogs but none are shelties. They will get extra hugs & a special treat in honor of Jack.

Cindy, RikyR, Caro and 5 others like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so sorry that you're saying farewell to Jack today. Even when it's time, it's too soon. You are giving him the last, best gift that you can, having already given him a wonderful life.

I remember when we sent you London and Bailey after their owner passed away here in CT. You were wonderful to take them on and give them such a great home where they thrived. I'm sure there are other Shelties out there who would love to be your companions and snuggle buddies. They will find you. And if they don't, we will help. :hugs

RikyR, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I am very sorry for your loss of a valued family member. Our prayers and best wishes go out to you and your family.
    Hug your other dogs tight and try to just remember the good times you had with Jack. Know your giving him the ultimate gift of Love.

RikyR, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so very sorry for your loss:hugs

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I remember London and Bailey's story and what a big heart you have. Your dogs have benefited from your loving care. I can only imagine that facing the loss of your last Sheltie is so painful. Hopefully, in time, a Sheltie will come along to gladden your heart again. I'm sorry you're facing this sorrow.

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  6. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words. People who love shelties are so special & I have been blessed to be a part of that group. If anyone hears of a sheltie in need my door & heart is open. I've gotten ones from CT, TX, & OK so if I can get them they are welcome.

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm so sorry its time to say goodbye to your sheltie. Losing my senior still hurts me a year later.

8. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    So many here know that empty feeling and the hole in our lives when we lose a true sheltie friend. Words are inadequate to describe that sense of loss and the heavy responsibility when we make that decision- in the end we know we have saved our pups from suffering and they are at peace but there is a part of the heart where they will always live on. This is the toughest part of being owned by shelties and my sympathies are with you. We found the silence deafening when our last little girl passed away and now we start again... sounds like you have some good support there-- we are all connected.

Piper's mom, Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    This is so heartbreaking. May Jack find peace and happiness over the Bridge.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ron Atkinson like this.
  10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So sad, sorry for your loss.

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.