Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I need a raincoat for Claussen and Little Bear

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Lysette85, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Lysette85

Lysette85 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I went to Petco just to size them up, and I've also looked on Ebay. Claussen is 19" from base of neck to base of tail. But his neck is only 12" and his girth is only 20". So...he's got a "large dog" length with a "small dog" neck and girth. Little Bear has similar proportions (16, 10, 15) I can't find anything other than expensive custom made that would fit him. Does anyone know of any sites that make good raincoats for shelties?

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Shelties are waterproof :winkgrin:

3. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I agree. Water never seems to penatrate passed their fur. A quick toweling off and they are good to go.

4. Lysette85

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    The reason I need one is because Claussen REFUSES to potty outside if it's raining. It's like pulling teeth. He'll pout and whine about it. I was taking him for a walk and got stuck in the rain and he was just miserable. He was whimpering and shivering. At 5.5 and 8 months, neither dog has their adult coat yet, so I don't think they are fully waterproof.

5. MavRyder

MavRyder Forums Enthusiast

May 17, 2010
    SD
    I have bigger Shelties and everything is too short for them. You should see Ryder in his Thundershirt. When I lived in Vancouver it rained a lot. I made Maverick a rain coat. I had to adjust the pattern though. I am no seamstress but it worked and kept most of him dry.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    :lol: Bailey thundershirt is ridiculously short too! She has a very small girth and a long body.

The raincoat from petco actually fits her nicely. It is a little big around her waist, but the length is good.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ditto! I see no need for raincoats for dogs. It's a trendy thing which I'm happy to leverage if and when I ever open my own pet shop.

In the meantime, if your dogs get wet, you give them a quick towel rub and their done! They don't mind the wet, and think of this as an instant bath!

8. Lysette85

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I guess I have the exception...

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think raincoats are cute, but since I'm broke our dogs don't have them :lol:

I have a dog that hates to go out in the rain. I've learned though that what he doesn't like is getting his feet wet. I've taken him out with the umbrella and it doesn't seem to make a difference. He just wants to make a beeline right back inside.

Just something to think about.

10. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

Ha ha, that cracks me up!! I am of no help here because my 2 don't mind the rain, and they love the towel down when they come in. I hope you are able to find something for Clauussen so the poor can be happier going out! Do you think you could train him to hold a little umbrella?