Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Looking for a Sheltie puppy for our family

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by moirae, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. moirae

moirae Forums Novice

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi All!

We are ready to get a Sheltie puppy for my son. He is 10 and has been super patient this summer, every time we see someone with a dog he asks to pet and tells them I'm getting a dog soon! We were hoping to find one by July/August time frame. We want a reputable breeder nearby (Oregon) who will allow us to visit the pups on-site. Thanks for your help!

Sincerely
    Dorena

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Dorena,

Welcome to the Sheltie Forums! Please keep in mind our rules re. advertising:
    https://sheltieforums.com/threads/looking-to-purchase-a-puppy-please-read-this.22965/

While we want every potential Sheltie owner to be as well-informed as possible, we do not allow members to request/recommend specific breeders.

One great way to find a Sheltie breeder is to use your local club's referral service. Oregon is home to the Pacific Northwest Shetland Sheepdog Club. By using their website's contact form (https://pnwssclub.wordpress.com/contact/), you can be connected to member breeders who may have puppies available.

Choosing a breeder and a puppy are very exciting, and there's a lot to think about! Please keep in mind that while you might luck out and find a puppy available, from a reputable breeder, by the end of August, the reality is that the good breeders usually have waiting-lists for puppies. In this case, the adage "good things are worth waiting for" is very true!

Is this your family's first Sheltie? First puppy? Do you have other questions about Shelties, or about how to choose the right breeder?

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Contact the ASSA it might help you find a reputable breeder in your area. That is how I find Sca (the one in my avatar) and indirectly Spitfire. Angus was via people I have met here :)

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan