Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Memorial items

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Caro, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I will post about my Deska angel soon. I kept some fur and ordered a cast of his paws to come back with his ashes (unfortunately the latter is in a frame).

While I'm waiting for him to come home, I'd like to ask people what memorial items/keepsakes they have for their Sheltie.

I've looked at hair/ashes jewellery and collage photo frames. What items do you cherish or wish you had?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    This may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but a friend of mine had her dog’s ashes mixed into a tattoo she got. I thought that was a great way to always have him close.

Henrie Lee and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Henrie Lee, JacqueZ and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I am considering having a jewel made from Layla's ashes when her time come, Caro.

Henrie Lee and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    We have a framed photo of Hollie taken by our photographer they day DH and I got married. The picture is on our mantel with her collar and tags hanging on it. And her ashes sit in front of it. Hollie loved to smell my roses, so we have some dried roses from the rose bush she sniffed on her last day. And one tiny milk bone. We often pick Shelby up and tell her to say hi to Hollie and she gently puts her nose to Hollie’s ashes, and she never tries to steal the milk bone.

The plan is that Hollie’s ashes will be buried with DH and Shelby’s with me.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Gloria, you're memorial is exactly why I'm asking, I want to do one for Deska.

Ordering things for Deska's memorial is distracting me from the heart-ache.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I completely understand needing to do something to channel the pain and heartache. When I lost Mr. Chance and Logan (this year) I created memorial books of their life with me.

Shutterfly.com

It helped me to do something creative and also remember all the good times we had together. It took time for me to focus on making it which redirected my sadness and grief.

Anything to hold off the intense pain of the loss.

The love is so deep and profound. The only thing that helped was refocusing on the fact that they are healthy and whole again and remembering those times.

Bless you and I hope and pray you can feel the strength of love and compassion we all have for you. Virtual hugs

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    On my list is to go back over 10 years worth of Sheltie Forum posts on the Deskapades (Deska's escapades) and saving them and printing off a memory book. One of the great things about SF - so many memories.
    Atm I'm looking at things to store his fur inside so I can take him with me on walks. It's good to hear what other people have done to get ideas. Plus it may be a good reference for other people in the future.

Chris, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a great idea! To my surprise they are offering these now. I am sure there are others...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/490993628/pet-memorial-necklace-pet-hair-memorial

Yes, it is wonderful to share the memories of our beloved pets and now there are so many more ways to do so!

As hard as it is to have begun this thread... thinking of ways to keep a part of them close and to help others when the time comes is very commendable of you knowing everything you are going through.