Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Newbies

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by corbinam, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Oh, I don't know. I think ALL shelties are perfect :)

Piper's mom, ghggp and corbinam like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    ... and that is the reason I could never do confirmation! I believe the same! :):ROFLMAO:;)

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I agree with a lot of you - that´s also why i like this statement from Ann :wink2:

Ann likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks, Hanne. I should add they may be show failures but I wouldn't give up a single one of them...each and every one is a precious family member. That also makes me an epic failure at being a "serious" show person! :cool1:

Piper's mom, Hanne and Cara Sandler like this.
  5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Went and spent some time at a (somewhat) local show a few weeks ago. Chatted with some well-known people in our breed so they know I’m serious about learning. It was amazing! So many tidbits just in a few hours’ time!

Elise was a good girl and didn’t seem to mind the environment.

She’s 15 weeks and 11” tall. Still hearing that she won’t make size, but her breeder thinks she will.

We had our first conformation class and she was a star! The class was great but it was crowded and the teacher sort of expected us to know what we were doing. I have no idea how, but Elise absolutely knew. I really hope it works out because she was a natural!!

Attached Files:

Jams, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That's wonderful that she did so well at class! She looks great, so pretty!
    I haven't had a lot time to work with Finnie...what with Piper's obedience training, the yard and work...not enough hours in the day!
    I take Finnie to the breeder on Sunday (she's lending me a larger crate) and we're going to measure him (I'm guessing he's close to 12" and around 11 1/2 pounds). He's definitely got a lot of attitude (and a real barker, nothing like Piper at that age) so he's going to be a handful lol.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    A few years back, I took the George Alston handling seminar -- two days of one of the top handlers picking me to pieces! The most important things I learned were:
    1. The entire time in the ring, keep one eye on your dog and one on the judge. Don't be the person talking with others while showing -- your dog will know she's not your main focus.
    2. Don't drape the leash over your neck when your dog is on the table. Learn to fold it into your palm quickly with one hand.
    3. George said never to use bait. He taught us to show without it, and it was amazing how well it worked. Looked impressive, too.

I like to watch Greg Speeks show. His intense focus on his dog is phenomenal -- like a silent, secret, laser-like communication. When someone talks to him in the ring (ringside observer or fellow competitor), he glances up and smiles politely, then goes right back to silently communicating with his Sheltie.

corbinam, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Elise and I have our very first Beginner Puppy show on Friday. Ears are out, and I even practiced a little show grooming today. Bath tomorrow, and then the fun starts!

Ears are majorly creeping up already, but we are the only sheltie entered so hopefully the judge won’t be too critical. Elise is also missing a few teeth but it’s the right age so I assume we will have a laugh when I show her bite!

Wish us luck, I am nervous!

Attached Files:

Jams and Hanne like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Don't be nervous, you'll do great. I found when I'd entered Piper in an altered class back in April that conformation isn't nearly as nerve wracking as obedience and the judges love seeing the puppies (who doesn't love a puppy?).
    Elise looks lovely and her ears look good in the picture (I asked our breeder if the tape had to come out for the show and she said it doesn't, can stay in or come out...personal preference (here in Canada anyways).
    Finnie hates the table and will leave the room if he thinks I'm going to put him on it...I just hope by August (he'll be 6 months) that I can get him used to it. I've taken to feeding him his meals (by hand)on the table...he's such a stubborn boy. Our show in 2 weeks is an hour away so I just hope I don't forget anything...Piper is entered in Utility and that starts early (9 am) so we have to leave by 7 am and with 2 dogs and all the supplies and dog food etc etc I'm liable to forget something important lol.
    Good luck this weekend and have fun, that's what it's all about!

corbinam likes this.
  10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Interesting! Here we have to remove all foreign substances (like ear glue/tape) or we get dismissed. Even for baby puppies. In that pic she still had a little tape in, they’re much higher now. Haha—oh well. Gives me an idea of how much farther down I need to glue them when I redo them.

Our show is an hour away as well. I’m also worried about forgetting things! But I figure as long as I have treats, leash and puppy it should be okay. Everything else is icing on the cake!

Elise doesn’t mind standing on the table, but she has started to back up a bit after her bite gets examined. I’m hoping it’s because she’s teething but we will definitely work on it. She will do just about anything for what I call the magic conformation treats (cut up and microwaved hot dogs!). :)

We are taking her swimming today so hopefully she’ll be nice and tired for the long grooming session and the dreaded dryer!