Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Our Gentle Dakota...yesterday we had to say good-bye to our sweet boy. He was such a special soul.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by trini, Aug 4, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    So sorry to hear about Dakota and the illness of your other little fellow. Peace to all of you.

2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So very sorry for your loss Trini.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Thank-you to each of you for your kind words of comfort...Ann, Gloria, Caro, Sharon, Riky, Darren, Mimiretz, Margi, Piper's Mom, Diane. So many of us have gone through these heartbreaking losses and know the awful emotional pain that comes when time on earth is over for one of our beloved little companions...they take a piece of our hearts with them when they leave us. Each day brings hundreds of memories and with each memory the sadness and emptiness hits anew. I know that in time the memories will be less painful and someday they will even bring smiles. The lives of these precious souls are so short as they bring us such great joy and then such crushing sadness. Yet over and over again we open our hearts even knowing the devastating end price we will pay for loving them. But I can't imagine a life without these truly wonderful souls.

Again, my sincere thank-you to each of you.

Trini

Sharon7, Piper's mom, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  4. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    What a beautiful post Trini :hugs.
    You've said it perfectly, we all know the pain to come but life would just not be the same without sharing it with one of these special souls. It still hurts when I think of Harley but I also remember the amount of happy memories we shared, if I had the choice again, knowing the pain to come I would still pick my time with him every time.

Take care Trini and you're still in all our hearts!

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Beautiful boy. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Piper's mom and RikyR like this.
  6. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I’m so so sorry to hear about sweet Dakota. Kip and I send hugs

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Well said Darren...I agree, even knowing how painful it is to say goodbye I wouldn't give up the time I had with Riley! I've never experienced first hand a tortured soul but his was (his owner passed away suddenly and no one in the family would see him as it was too painful), to see the look in his eyes...tremendously sad but happy to see me...I wouldn't change anything.

Hanne, Caro and ghggp like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh, Trini, I just saw this. I am sorry beyond words! But to try...
    Dear St. Francis, Dakota arrived at the Heavenly Fields, and I know you will guide him in the ways of memory and joy. Please watch over his brother Dante and let Dakota know that you are walking with him and Trini through this painful time. And please, remind him that it will seem but the twinkling of an eye until they all are together again. In His name we ask,
    Amen

ghggp, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA

Thank-you Chris for such a beautiful prayer. Normally when we lose a little one we bury them in our pet cemetery, but we chose this time to have Dakota cremated so that when his little Dante passes we can bury their ashes together...they would want that. Dante is very subdued and often is obviously looking for his Dakota...I try to comfort him as best as possible but I know he just doesn't understand why Dakota is not here anymore...heartbreaking.

And Karen, thank-you for the many hearts.

Yesterday in the mail we got some meds for Dakota that our vet had ordered a couple of weeks ago from the Wedgewood Pharmacy in NJ...one more hard hitting reminder of what we have lost.

Trini

Caro, Piper's mom, Calliesmom and 3 others like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Trini, your post just brings home the continued struggle when we lose such a dearly loved sheltie. My heart breaks just thinking about poor Dante looking for Dakota.
    I have never adopted a bonded pair and this must be an additional struggle that makes it so hard to cope with. The medication coming is just another painful reminder.
    I hope in the coming weeks and months the fond memories of Dakota with overtaking the sad ones you are currently experiencing. Give little Dante a soft pat and kiss on his little snout! Blessings to you both...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Hanne, Sharon7 and RikyR like this.