Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Peanut Oil versus Olive Oil

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Pam, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi, Beau is having dry skin/itchy skin. I wanted to try Pb2 with him for weight reasons but then thought maybe continuing to give him PB with oil is better for his skin. Other thought was give Pb2 and add olive oild or coconut oil to his food for dry skin. Thoughts?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I've always heard that coconut oil is the best thing for skin, but I don't know anything about peanut oil. Have you tried a good quality fish oil, like krill? Or even a combo of coconut and fish oil. Just a thought.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I still recommend Vibrant Pets -- after check for low . Remember, Shelties' thyroid is different. If they test low normal, it's actually low and needs treatment!
    www.vibrantpets.net

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Sorry I have no idea what PB2 is. What is the oil for - if he has skin problems I'd suggest using a fish supplement (for Omega-3) as there's proper evidence to support it helping skin conditions. Honestly, I would steer well clear of coconut oil. It's super high in saturated fat, higher than butter, and there's no real evidence to support any claims. Same with peanut oil - as a supplement it's not that great for skin as it's high in omega 6 but not omega 3, you actually want a higher ratio omega-3 (omega-6 in higher amounts can cause inflammation). Adding lots of oil isn't good for weight or pancreas, esp saturated fats, and extra oils doesn't equate to better skin - it's the nutrients that help with the skin.

Addendum - just looked up PB2 - from what i can see it has sugar and salt in it.