Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should I "shop" for an "agility" dog?

Discussion in 'General Breeding Discussion' started by k9kreationz, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Those are two very gorgeous dogs! Those eyes really get you~

2. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Great write up on your experience and I have to say, the one mini Aussie I know is very drivey and also very hyper. He flies!!!! But yeah, he's "small". Maybe Miko's height? He looks a bit bigger than his Cavalier sister, but not much.

Okay. Can I live with that look? Or can I live with the Sheltie look that says, "I LOVE YOU!!! Now play with/feed ME!!!" LOL. I think I'd be sitting there saying, "hun, the dog is staring me down, should I move somewhere?"

My friend said her Aussie looks at her with this look, "you will do what I want". lol.

Again, thanks.

3. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I also wanted to clarify. By "smaller Aussie" I didn't mean "mini Aussie". I meant those Aussies that are more small boned, looks a bit more like a BC. Versus the big chunky AKC type of Aussies you see.

I'm not a big fan of the "mini" movement either. I think if they do it very carefully, great. But otherwise, it's just a fad and money-maker. I would think the mini-Aussies should have a temperament close to that of an Aussie. Just like I'd assume the toy/mini/standard Poodles all have the same basic temperament.

Anyhow, wanted to make sure that was clear. hehehe.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I actually researched shelties that were winning on the agility circuits....and that is how I found my breeder.

So yeah...I basically bought my dogs for their agility and obedience drive.

I pretty much made sure that the pups followed the criteria that justicemom laid out.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    went to agility trials today... every second dog is bc, every third is aussie, then some sheltie and very few of other breeds...

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Yea, most of the dogs here are BCs or kelpies. We dont have prizes for different sizes (its a big debate here atm) so guess who wins all the time? Most of the dogs at trials are 500mm (maybe 19") so the courses are designed for them. usually only 1-2 are 300mm (13") and 4-5 are 400mm (16").

7. Aztec

Aztec Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009
    Ohio
    I would go with an aussie, even though I do absolutely love shelties, because I love watching aussies do agility. Shelties would always be my first choice for a companion/conformation dog however.

My personal thought, if I was ever to decide to compete in agility, would be to go pick up a slightly older stir crazy mutt at the shelter and go from there. That however is not for everyone!

My Laika though is a border collie/husky/?? mix, and I did agility with her for a short time when she was younger. They basically told me that if she didn't have so many issues with other dogs she could make it to the top. I quit because I got frustrated and wasn't all that interested in the sport. Now I always look back and wish I would not have quit. At over eight years old she can still jump over a 36 in barrier from a stand still, and out run Aztec who is half her age. She has incredible drive. Sometimes you find the best gems at the shelter.

:smile2:

8. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Many BCs are great athletes, but not all. One of the trainers we've studied under has a BC that can run an agility course flawlessly, but he has absolutely no drive. No matter what breed or mix, if you want to be competitive in agility the dog must have drive and proper structure.

I still think no dog looks better on the course than a Sheltie. You just can't beat the look of a flowing mane and Sheltie smile. :smile2:

9. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Woops... missed the more updated posts.
    I feel that someone who actively competes in performance venues, or one that has sold a number of dogs who have gone on to be TOP agility dogs (not just any agility dog in other words... as there are a LOT of mediocre ones out there who will never go very far- probably not the best suited dogs) will have a better idea of what is actually going to be required of a performance dog. They will better be able to evaluate a future performance pup to determine their suitability as one.
    Of course, we all get it wrong from time to time... It is always somewhat of a gamble buying a puppy, for anything, not just performance, but in my opinion at least, it makes your odds a bit better, having someone who is actually familiar with what makes a great performance dog to evaluate the puppies over someone who has never done it, and truly doesn't know.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    There is an Aussie in Diva agility class. He is fast and has tons of drive but he is stubborn and quite frankly an idiot. He wrecks the courses, bars go flying everywhere, he doesn't listen to his owner and has the sensitivity of a brick. I have trained with other Aussies and they are the same way. No thanks. I need a dog I can live with too. I am sure there are good Aussie but they aren't my style.