Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The incredible comfort our dogs provide

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Piper's mom, May 3, 2024.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    This has been a really hard week (4 weeks actually) as my sister passed away after a short battle with pancreatic cancer. During this time my dogs have been with me constantly, keeping me company and providing comfort. The past 2 nights I was with my sister in the hospital and the dogs stayed downstairs with my mom. This was an especially difficult time for my mother (she’s 95) as this was her eldest daughter.
    Finnie deserves a gold star and several cookies for the comfort he provided my mom…she said the past 2 nights he cuddled with her throughout the night keeping her company and comfortable.
    Tonight my mom requested Finnie’s services again however because I’m home he refused to stay with her…so I enlisted Piper. He was more than happy to stay downstairs, sleep on her bed and provide warmth to my mom’s broken heart. Such good dogs!
    Enlist your dogs when your feeling down and hug your loved one…you just never know when you’ll lose them.

Sharon7, Ann, Ron Atkinson and 3 others like this.
  2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So very sorry for your loss. It never ceases to amaze me that an animal can be so in tune with our emotions. Truly a great gift from above.

Sharon7, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    What a tough time and thing to have to deal with, my sympathies to you and your mom. And so true about our pups. I always wondered exactly what they know about us, do they really understand names etc -there is a great Gary Larson cartoon about that- but one thing they really do seem to understand is our mood and as you said when we are in pain they seem to know it at some level beyond words. They know when we are sad I swear they do, they are so sensitive to our body language etc. It is one of the wonderful things about Shelties that we are all pack members and when one is down they are there. It is amazing how nice it is to have them curl up and lay their head against you and be sad with you in true empathy. We are all connected.

RikyR, Ron Atkinson, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Oh Lisa, I am so very, very sorry for the loss of your sister. That happened far too fast.

My heart breaks for you both... I cannot imagine the loss of a child, or the loss of a sister. I am glad that Piper and Finnie have comforted you both. Many hugs...

RikyR, Ron Atkinson, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Hate to hit like on the account of the good job the Shelties did (I assume Blueberry supervised) since your sister...... Condolences it is never easy and hopefully her passing was not to tough on her.

RikyR, Sandy in CT, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I'm very sorry to hear your sister passed away. Please know you and your mom are in our prayers. No parent should have to lose their children.
    I'm glad Finnie and Piper did what Shelties do best, take care of their humans. They are so sensitive and in tune with their surroundings. I have no doubt that they will continue to help as you all go through the process of healing.
    Will say a prayer for your Mom and You

RikyR, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thanks guys for all your kind words. My sister was one of a kind whose love for animals was as great as mine. She would throw a birthday party for our dogs that would rival a human’s party with the hats and treats and party favours!
    Good memories…. IMG_2504.jpeg IMG_2503.jpeg Resized_20231111_194754_124635166646878_1714741499844.jpeg

Calliesmom, RikyR, woof and 5 others like this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I lost my Mom to PC last year in July. It was a rough 9 months for her. Gavin came with for my first of my 3 month stays with her but passed in February 2 weeks after we drove back to CA. Pico came home with me 2 weeks after mom passed (like 10 days after I got back to CA after her funeral).

This tiny little furball (he was like 5lbs) decided he NEEDED to sleep with me and cried more every night until I figured it out. Not a peep since (not an accident, remember he was a baby). I don't know that he realized what was going on with me, but he always sleeps in my bed curled up with me for at least most of the night.

Of course, he sneaks off during the night to corral my socks, but he always sneaks back up by morning.

I am sorry for your loss, and glad you have to furry love bugs to help you through it.

RikyR, woof, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    May warm memories and thoughts of good times comfort you now, Lisa. Your sister was a special person and you'll keep her alive through the memories. I'm so sorry she's gone.

It is incredible how intuitive our dogs are, certain ones more than others, I think. Mine were my salvation during very dark times. Keep them close and let them help. :hugs

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I can only imagine how hard that must’ve been for you Cindy, I’m glad you had Pico with you while you were grieving. It certainly does make it easier having a dog to help comfort you. They don’t ask any questions, they just love you and feel what you’re feeling. I think the more sensitive the dog the more empathetic they are.