Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vixen snapped at me

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by labgirl, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow that would be worrisome in such a young pup! I do understand what you mean about the working lines of BCs, but really, isn't that kind of sad? It seems you should be able to have a good working dog who actually is good with people, too, wouldn't that be a goal in breeding?

Interestingly, a gal formerly in our dog club went over to England to get a BC bitch and had her bred artificially, also with a British dog I believe. At least one of the pups who went to another dog club member is just awful around other dogs also! He has run out of the agility ring to go after some other poor pup. What a life - he has to be tightly controlled at all times. It seems sad to me. :cry:

I hope a behaviorist can help you out, your own dogs are for sure feeling your stress and unhappiness.

Hugs.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sophie, the fenced area with a nice kennel for Vixen sounds like a good idea for now...and maybe for the long term if this behavior can't be resolved. You don't want to chance your little ones getting hurt, or yourself and/or anyone else who might come to visit you.

My heart goes out to your brother...I know he was so happy to get Vixen and this has got to be emotionally hard for all of you. Hopefully this behavior can be brought under enough control that he can handle and bond with Vixen even if she is never really good around others. Coming from a working line the qualities that make for a good pet may simply not be part of her genetic makeup...not her fault.

Trini

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thank you everyone. I agree with Sharon that it is sad that so many BCs have these issues and in part it is because such precedent is placed on working quality over temperament.

I was thinking of training her as an agility dog, but I don't think she would cope with her current issues, and it wouldn't be fair to put her in such a situation.

She has been fine with me the rest of the day, though I find myself being cautious around her.

Thank you Tesslynn, Cadbury suits his name:wink2:

4. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    When you say 'Without much effort I can reel off a list of five collies that I know personally to be people aggressive and liable to snap. '

Do you mean BC's, or collies? I am really surprised at the notion of an aggressive collie.

5. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    I guess that would be BCs. In the UK we tend to call them 'collies'. (We call Rough Collies by the full name - to avoid confusion and yes that would be more surprising.)

A good book which might help here is 'Bringing Light to Shadow' by Pamela Dennison

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bringing-Li...6912&sr=8-1&keywords=bringing+light+to+shadow

I would also suggest before doing anything else to get a full blood panel done to see if there is anything odd going on - thyroid etc as there might be a medical problem. Something else to check out would be her eyes, if she has an eye condition it might mean that she is being spooked by things she isn't seeing properly. Collies can be quite sharp, no nonsense dogs. They can also be quite nippy, especially the working lines, bearing in mind they have been selectively bred for those particular traits rather than good temperament.

6. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Yes Jomuir, I mean BCs. I know three lovely rough collies, soft as butter, very different dog from the borders:wink2:

Thanks Julia, vets is on my agenda too, though I am more inclined to think it is a behavioural issue. BCs have never been my first choice of dog because they are 'sharp', especially from working lines. I have only ever met one I really liked, his name was Oliver and his owner used to complain because he had none of the usual BC traits! I guess that's why I liked him! Hanging out with agility folk you meet lots and lots of collies, and they all have that slightly insane look in their eyes.

There are several very bad genetic lines of BCs in this area. Ones that have a quite serious screw loose. I know two of these and they are very unpredictable, though one of them I have always felt quite comfortable around. I know they take constant management by their owners to avoid accidents. I so hope Vixen doesn't fall into this category.

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Only slightly :confused2:

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I do not know any "bad" BC, but I never wanted a BC, because of their activity. but not least, I have never liked their look in their eyes, so the writing is new to me -they all have that slightly insane look in their eyes - I thought that I was the only one who had this impression. since everyone here else thought they looked so cute

9. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I've read that one of Queen Victoria's favorite collies was an absolute terror to the people who handled and cared for it. It must be a breed trait. Shelties, on the other hand, seem to be fairly passive; my Dickens is so, almost to a fault.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When I write here, I do not mean here in SN, but where I live, Sorry :winkgrin: