Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What animals feel

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by woof, Apr 23, 2024.

1. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    There was a nice article entitled "How do we know what animals re really feeling" in the NYT 23 Aprl 24.

Of course this is a complex subject and one we will probably never fully appreciate but it brought up some good points and many of them have been discussed before. Years ago I was privileged to attend a seminar by Temple Grandin and hear of her studies and observations and activism for animal treatment in slaughter houses..I grew up in farm country and about a linear mile from one such place and I have always been emotionally conflicted by the process. One of the things my relationship with dogs has taught me is that we do live in different worlds but that -as Henry Beston would say they are not our lessers--For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

In the NYT article it raised the concept of 5 freedoms-- not exactly for our fur buddies but for how we should treat captive animals in zoo, farms and in those last few days at the slaughter houses:
    They are: 1. the freedom from hunger and thirst; 2. the freedom from discomfort; 3. the freedom from pain, injury or disease; 4. the freedom to express normal behavior; and 5. the freedom from fear and distress.

Anyway food for thought as we touch their world and they touch ours.

Piper's mom, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Really, really like that quote. And agree with the sentiments and concepts.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Sometimes I wish we lived more like our dogs do, untouched by loss and living more in the moment. I envy my dogs sometimes, they have a much simpler and easier life just experiencing life through their senses.

woof, Sharon7, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    ^^^^^^
    THIS!

Piper's mom, RikyR, woof and 2 others like this.